Stock 78-88 G Body Steel Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

63ChevyII

n00b
Dec 30, 2008
Hi Guys,

As you can probably guess from my screen name, I have a 63 Chevy II. I was looking for some cheap options on 5 lug OE style wheels, and I was told that I may be able to use some stock G body wheels.

After a frustrating 7 hour day at 3 different junkyards, I came home empty handed.

What I need is a 14 or 15 x 6 wheel for the front with 3.5" bs. They also need to work with disc brakes.

For the rear, I could go with 14 x 6 or 7, or a 15 X 6 or 7. On a 6" wheel, I need a 3.5" bs. On a 7" wheel I need a 4.5" bs.

Is this something I should be able to find off of a g body? I think I found lots of them at the junkyards, but most of them that were the right size were welded together and used as stands to hold up the cars!

I did find one wheel that was 15 X 6 with 3.5 BS, but the calipers wouldn't work. One of the guys standing there watching me struggle with them told me they weren't disc brake rims, so they wouldn't work.

I found a few 14" and 15" rims that looked similar to what I was looking for, but the problem is they were 8 or 9 inches wide and had a backspacing of 4.5" or more. These definitely wont work with my car.

Any help you can give me is appreciated.

Btw... this is the look I'm going for with my car, just not as low:
out2.JPG

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
63ChevyII said:
Hi Guys,

As you can probably guess from my screen name, I have a 63 Chevy II. I was looking for some cheap options on 5 lug OE style wheels, and I was told that I may be able to use some stock G body wheels.

After a frustrating 7 hour day at 3 different junkyards, I came home empty handed.

What I need is a 14 or 15 x 6 wheel for the front with 3.5" bs. They also need to work with disc brakes.

For the rear, I could go with 14 x 6 or 7, or a 15 X 6 or 7. On a 6" wheel, I need a 3.5" bs. On a 7" wheel I need a 4.5" bs.

Is this something I should be able to find off of a g body? I think I found lots of them at the junkyards, but most of them that were the right size were welded together and used as stands to hold up the cars!

I did find one wheel that was 15 X 6 with 3.5 BS, but the calipers wouldn't work. One of the guys standing there watching me struggle with them told me they weren't disc brake rims, so they wouldn't work.

I found a few 14" and 15" rims that looked similar to what I was looking for, but the problem is they were 8 or 9 inches wide and had a backspacing of 4.5" or more. These definitely wont work with my car.

Any help you can give me is appreciated.

Btw... this is the look I'm going for with my car, just not as low:
out2.JPG

where are you located? I have some stock 87 Cutlass Supreme steelies with the wire hubcaps. Car was low mile and the wheels were already taken off ... so these should be in pretty good shape (sorry they are in storage - I am going from memory on appearance)

Footbrake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2006
Buffalo, New York
Wheels

I also found this out, that Stock 15" GM steel wheels are soooo very hard to find. Don't know why.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
the original rallye wheels on the g bodies are 3.5" back spacing
Dan

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I know some of the other models varied a bit, but all Monte SS's had 15x7" wheels with 3.75" BS. I'm not sure of the backspacing on some of the other models or the 14" wheels.

I don't believe any g-body ever came with a 15x6" wheel - only the "sporty" models got the 15's and they were all 7" wide. So if you need 6" wide you'll have to drop down to a 14" diameter. All g-bodies had disc brakes up front, so if you find a set with the proper backspacing, then you won't have to worry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor