Cadillac 472ci swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2006
Centralia, WA
I may be buying a running 472" Caddy motor this weekend and I'm wondering how easy it would be to stick that in my Cutlass?

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I believe that there are 1 or 2 companies that have parts to swap the Caddy engine into a G body. There was an article in Hot Rod (I think), a few years ago, about a Caddy swap in an El Camino. Since the Caddy motors are famous for torque, it makes it hard to keep tires on the car. Good luck with the swap, and let us know how it goes.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
I believe the G-Body Swap is fairly common.

Maximum Torque Specialties out of Devan, Wisconsin, sells a lot of performance parts for the 472/500 Motors. They sell some universal motor mount kits. They may sell headers that are ready to go for the G-Body swap. There are at least a couple of other places selling parts out there, but I have dealt with MTS and the customer service is good, you deal with the owner directly.

You will need a rear sump oil pan from a Eldorado. The Devilles used a center sump oil pan which won't clear your cross member.

The 472/500 require a transmisson with the Buick, Olds, Pontiac Bolt Pattern.

I would recommend that unless you are running a overdrive trans that you stay will a rear end ratio in the 3:00 - 3:30 range. These motors don't rev very high. I have a 3:73 in my 472 Camaro and its too much on the highway.

I have had my 472 '70 Camaro for 15 years. I have a 70 472 with 10.5:1 Compression, ported factory heads, factor Single Plane Manifold, Holley 800, factory manifolds, and an MTS Mid Grind Cam.

If you can get headers and an aftermarket intake it should really open it up.

Good luck.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
That should be a good project. I'd make sure and get the tranmission along w/ the 472. You should run a solid TH-400 behind the BBC. Those things have tons of torque. The hardest part will be fitting in the headers.

Redcap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2006
Centralia, WA
Well, it looks like this project is a no-go. Went by the old guy's place with cash in hand today, but he jumped the price from $150 to $350 as soon as I started talking to him, after we had already agreed on $150 for the complete motor. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor