removing a vinyl top

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMac

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2007
I ripped mine off a few hours ago and it came off alright. I will get pics up tomorrow

KMac

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2007
Here are the pics. After removing the vinyl i had that foam and glue stuff. i used a putty knife to scrape off the large stuff and then used acetone to eat the rest off. It turned out very nice.

Click for a larger pic

Question...does anyone know if under the large bracket that holds the vinyl on, the one that runs across the top of the roof, does it have studs that it clips to or is it holes that i need to fill in?
Also, does anyone have any advice for what i need to do with the plastic around the back windshield. Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
They are all studs on the top and sides...can you do me a favor and take a look at around the back window....there are no studs for the nylon clips to hold the chrome molding on is there?

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The studs that hold the clips on are on the sides not the face, if that makes sense, so it may be hard to see. The top piece is riveted on, you'll have to drill them out. Dont drill all the way, and dont use too much pressure. Also dont worry about the windows, just get black moulding putty, its like sticky tack, I've always called it dumdum, I donno what it really is, and you use that, then reattach the window with the speed nuts (they dont tighten down, once their on and snug, thats a wrap)

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
KMac said:
so the top is riveted? How do i go about getting that plastic off in the back?
If you mean the interior sail panel, loosen off the lower piece, remove the seat belt from the top, I think it's a 45 or if not a 50 torx bit, and pull them out.
If you mean the top piece, it should be a cover piece that fits over a metal piece, the top piece should just pull off. If you're not re-using it what does it matter. Just rip the sucker off lol.

KMac

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2007
Alright i got all the metal trimming completely off. If anybody needs the trimmings let me know they are in really good shape. I'll get the pics up once i get the glue off

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If you dont wanna use stripper, the fibre disc works for just removing finish from a material, and doesnt damage whats underneath. It's like a purple or blue or coloured curly pad you put on a grinder.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
well I finally got up the nerve to remove my top....good thing I did, my quarter windows were pretty rotted at the top of all places. So I cut out all the bad metal and made metal patches came out pretty darn good. Went to the yard and picked up some rear window trim off of a non vinyl top car. Now I just need to locate some clips and pull the back glass and install them and put it all back together.

Any one have clips by any chance?
the sides and tops are the same the bottoms are different

I see how the quarter glass is different from a non vinyl top car. The rubber is wider on the non vinyl top car and hides the seam around the glass better. My windows will do for now until I find a nice set of glass off a non vinyl top car. You can barely tell this thing had a vinyl top on it at all.

The Bonus was my car is white and plastikote white sandable primer matched perfect. You have to look at the right angle to notice its flat and not shiny like the rest of the car. :wink:

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
For longevity's sake, after welding the panels in, to finish from baremetal should be, prime, plastic, prime, base, clear. This is the least you should do. But good work. White is the greatest colour. Lucky you matched it, but if you do prep right, you can get a nice job done with a spray bomb in the colour white. White holds alot of carbon, you'd be surprised how white it comes out with a little elbow grease and some cutting compound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor