New engine/old transmission - will it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Okay, so I've read a little about swapping a 3800 Series II into the G body. Not common, but it's been done. I like the idea of keeping my Buick a Buick.
I'm not going to do it yet. I don't have the money.
I do, however, have a little saved up for a new transmission. I want either a 700R4 or a 200-4R.

There is quite a bit on here about the transmission swap. IIRC, the issues with the 700R4 include a slight difference in dimension that might require cutting the driveshaft to fit (please correct me if I'm wrong) and also I'd have to find a BOP 700R4.

However, if I look ahead to a possible 3800 Series II engine swap, the 3800 Series II mated to the 700R4 (electronically controlled). While the 200-4R has the universal bolt pattern, it was discontinued around 1990. I'm also not sure how the new engine would work with a non-electronic transmission OR how my old engine would work with a 4L60E.

Basically what I'm wondering is this:
Looking ahead but driving now, what transmission should I get that would make minimum difficulty for me now with a Buick 231 AND later with a 3800 Series II?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio

phaZe

Greasemonkey
Aug 16, 2008
l67cutlass.78_patr.jpg

That just looks odd, I don't know why. We got an '07 Grand Prix GT with the Supercharged Series III L32. They get a lot of power and acceleration out of those V6's along with decent gas mileage.

It would be a cool swap to do, especially with the amount of power you'd be getting out of it.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
I'm pretty excited about the power/efficiency gains. I used to have a Riviera with a blown 3800 II. 240 horsepower and I got up to 34 mpg on the highway.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
your best bet for a trans is a trans out of a camaro or trans am because you need a60* V6 bellhousing bolt patern for a 3800 motor.oposed to the bop bolt patern of the old school 3.8

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
The bolt pattern is the least of my concerns. If I get a 4L60E, I'll need to find a computer to control it with the old engine. If I get a 700R4 or 200-4R I'll have to figure out how to activate the TV cable with the new engine.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Just buy a wrecked V6 (or better yet, an LS1) Camaro or Firebird, you'll have everything you need, and will probably be able to make a good chunk of the price back by selling off the extra parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor