Removing the polution control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bourbon

Master Mechanic
Aug 23, 2007
PA
What all is involved in removing the pollution control stuff on my 83 regal, non a/c? i see the pump, and the black plastic "can" but the driver's side fender, and i see the pump is on a dedicated belt. but is there anything else i need to know/remove? and is it a good idea? Now that my hood is flipped, i need to clean up my engine compartment some.
thanks

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well...it's illegal and carries stiff fines if you are caught and the agency dealing with it wants to be nasty about it. That being said, much of the equipment is not detrimental to performance when there, but will throw codes in the computer (if your car still runs it) when removed.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
depends on state correct? not that i care. But i tore all that out of the malibu. but i don't have to deal with emissions either. one good thing about iowa i guess

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
It's nice up here in Canada too. Most people up here remove emissions and cats from our cars.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Only cars model year 1975 and older are emissions exempt in PA Bourbon, so you'll have to wait a few years to pull the emissions stuff UNLESS you register the car as antique/classic, then it's exempt. Even in the regions that don't do the tailpipe test, the emissions equipment has to be present if the car is newer than 1975- it doesn't have to function, but has to be there on the car physically. That's the law, I'm sure there are those shops out there that might bend or break it, but that's what is written.

-UT-

bourbon

Master Mechanic
Aug 23, 2007
PA
Uncletruck said:
Only cars model year 1975 and older are emissions exempt in PA Bourbon, so you'll have to wait a few years to pull the emissions stuff UNLESS you register the car as antique/classic, then it's exempt. Even in the regions that don't do the tailpipe test, the emissions equipment has to be present if the car is newer than 1975- it doesn't have to function, but has to be there on the car physically. That's the law, I'm sure there are those shops out there that might bend or break it, but that's what is written.

-UT-

i didnt think we had it here, but i cant get the car through a normal inspection anyway.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
some of the emissions equip you do want to keep. the PCV and the carbon canister should stay hooked up. the EGR system should be blocked off if you get rid of it, just disconnecting the lines can cause issues. and beware of anything hooked up to manifold vacuum, make sure it's completely sealed. the last thing you want is multiple vac leaks.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
here in chicago if yer cars a 95 or older you have to pass emm. once or pay to say you passed and then you never have to worry about it ever again. i got arrested in my '94 saturn twice for not passing emmitions, once when i was in the army, they said my license was suspended, even tho it was in my wallet. so i called cook county and said i was in upstate ny and couldnt go back to il to pass yet. 6 months later i was back home and got pulled over for a sticker in my back window, and was arrested because i didnt pass emmitions. so i took my car to a mecanic and paid 600 bucks to get a new down pipe and cat. i still didnt pass emmitions but i showd the 600 dollar bill i had paid and they said ok heres yer license back, yer exempt now. thats some bullshit! i wanna kick jessy white right in the bag of doing that to me. before that i have never been arrested or handcuffed. handcuffs are not made for comfort, some of you may or may not know this. just my $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor