front clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAGCUSTOMS87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2008
St. Johns/Lansing, MI
El Camino / Grand Prix

soo has anyone seen a El Camino with the Grand Prix From Clip put on? i have seen a El Camino with a Grand National, Monte, Camaro, just thought i'd see. my brother has a 86 Grand Prix thats pretty worn out. or if any grand prix owners lookin for some parts let me know its a 86 with the 3.8 V6 i'm in Michigan will send pics if needed.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
what about an ElC with an LS front end? That'd be righteous.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
im having trouble finding the 78 front end. it seem like the b*st*rd child year of elky because i can find the 80's front clip no prob but anything 78 is bupkis. i think ill try looking for the malibu front clip and start there.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
There have been lots of conversions of G-body front clips on to ElCo bodies. There's a couple of Buick GN conversions, one of which regularly goes to Carlisle. There have been the Pontiac conversions, and I'm sure there are Olds conversions. The front clip and doors are almost bolt-on (you have to use the ElCo door glass, obviously). The problem is that the body lines on the rear quarters don't match. At a minimum you need to blend the door lines into the rear quarter with metal work. Unfortunately this does not fix the mismatch in the shape of the wheel opening (the GN-camino at Carlisle has this problem). You would need to cut and past wagon rear doors and quarters to get close. Unfortunately the difference in wheelbase results in the need for additional custom metalwork.

Caballero

Apprentice
Oct 12, 2009
Hey, I was thinking about A-body conversions and found this topic. Has anyone seen an A-body El Camino with Regal/Monte fenders and doors and/or Grand Prix hood and front?

just plain john

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2009
Pasadena TX
Re:

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Don't quote me on this one, but I have a hunch some of the 4 door G bodies share the same doors. Since the 4 door Malibu uses the same front as an El Camino, it may work. Also, all G body El Caminos use the same front fenders as do the Malibus. Take a look at the header panel on the later quad light versions and you will see that the angle it meets the fenders at is slanted back just like the single light cars. GM did the same thing in 1973 with the Nova when it went to the ugly big bumpers, and in 1970 when the 2 door Malibus got new fenders but the 4 door, wagon and El Camino kept the 68-69 parts. So, there is a precedent.
I disagree about the 4 door Malibu doors being the ones the El Camino uses. The El uses the same doors as a 2 door Bu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor