how to replace window sweeps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
im going to be ordering a set of sweeps soon and i'm looking for info on how to replace these things.

please dont tell me i have to remove the glass. i dont think i can bear to hear that.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Well, you don't have to remove the glass, though it is incredibly easy to do so (I've had windows in and out in a matter of minutes).

Remove your upper and lower door panel.
Find the lower stops, mark their position and loosen them enough to get them out of the way.
Roll the window down past the belt line (that's why you loosened the stops).
Unscrew the old sweep and install the new one.
Put everything back together.
Ta da!

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I've seen some aftermarket sweeps with the holes in the wrong place, just drill new ones.

Reactions: 1 user

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
the only ones ive seen are from 1aauto.com

when i get them we'll find out if the hole are in the right places.

how do i keep these things from dry rotting and cracking? armor all every so often? it took 20+ years before these things gave up but still i want them to last as long as possible. how know how long i may own this car.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Well theyre rubber and they say silicone is good for rubber.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
A link to the sweeps in question? I ask because they are one of the last items on the list of crap I need to put my Cutlass back together.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
they came in today!

and they look good.

i think i might take pics and do a write up on replacing them so those who have never done this before can see how it is done.

i just need a window crank handle removal tool. mine is missing and i think it was one of the tools stolen from me years ago.

they've come with screws and staples (screws for the door, staples for the door panel)

i need to get door clips first as i am going to need to replace them all, 24 year old door clips will not survive their removal.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i now have door clips!

i have no idea how many i'll need but i have 30 total. oreilly auto had them and are just like the originals.

i still need to get a window crank handle removal tool. i should have it done next week.

i'll try to get picks and do a write up so everyone can learn who hasnt done it before and hopefully avoid the mistakes i am sure to make.

i really oughta change the doors weather stripping but i didnt have the money for it. so i'm gonna have to take the door panels off once more in the future.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
ya dont have to buy a tool to remove the clips. just use a flathead screwdriver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor