Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
beermonkey9417 said:
ya dont have to buy a tool to remove the clips. just use a flathead screwdriver.

i am NOT using a flathead screwdriver to remove a clip so close to the vinyl on my door panels. no thanks. i'll just spend a few bucks on a tool that wont gouge my door panel.

i have a bad history with using screwdrivers in ways they were not designed for.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i replaced the sweeps on the driver door. it went fairly well except the fitment of the outside sweep was for crap. i had to redrill the holes for a better fit, i lost 2 of the 5 screw for the outside sweep down into the door (the sweeps came with a bag of screws so its not a big deal) and i ran a drill bit into my hand when drilling for the inside sweep and i about lost my temper.

it looks pretty good. i had to remove the stop at the bottom and even then i barely had enough room to get one of the screws out of the outside sweep. the new door clips are an absolute dream come true. the door panel holds against the door firmly and looks better.

i had to drill new holes for the inside sweep as their staple holes werent even close to the originals. but aside from the drilling they went on fine and fit well.

it took me like an hour to do this since i had to keep getting tools i hadnt pulled out ahead of time. speaking of, i am so glad i bought that window crank handle remover. it makes removing the crank and putting the clip back into the handle a breeze.

i have the passenger door to do. there's not enough light during the evenings still so i ran out of light too fast. at least i know what it takes to do them.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
folks do yourself a favor. if you get sweeps fro,m 1aauto.com, just drill new holes an inch from the holes in the outside sweeps. trying to enlarge the existing holes is just stupid. they put them too low and leave likes an 1/8th gap between the aluminum trim and the door's sheet metal.

so when i did the passenger side today i just went ahead and drilled new holes rather than trying to enlarge the holes in the sweep and reuse the existing holes. im glad i did. it took less time and it looks fine.

i'm done and i couldnt be happier. they look good and i got a good look in the doors. the passenger door is in pretty good condition, some rust on the bottom on the inside but nothing major (the interior of the door looked good though). the driver door i may have to have redone or replace it one day. its got plenty of rust, no actual rot but...its bad enough to simply warrant getting another door and replacing this one some day.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Good job.
Did you see what other models the GP sweeps fit on?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Did you buy the standard sweep with the thin chrome strip or the sweeps with the wide chrome?.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
the sweeps with the 1/4" chrome trim. they look just like the ones i replaced too.

i rechecked the sweep on the driver door and i might redo it. there's some gap in part of it and its bugging me. you cant really see it but i felt it and so i know its there its gonna bug me til i fix it.

i'll probably just drill new holes an inch from the existing holes, using the existing ones in the sweep was a dumb idea.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
srercrcr said:
Good job.
Did you see what other models the GP sweeps fit on?

the packaging said mine were for a monte carlo. they're universals apparently. they looked just like mine and fit right in, if you dont include the holes being off some from the originals. i expected that since they are not original sweeps.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Theyre not universal cause different models had different width trim, but I do remember Monte and GP being the same. One model (??) has a black trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor