WHAT DO I DO WITH THE VAPOR CANISTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

79GPSJ

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2008
Im dropping a 350 gm godwrench crate engine into my grand prix I dont want to hook up my emissions stuff but if I leave the canister unhooked would anything bad happen because I know it has a line coming in from the gas tank. dont want any explosions happening

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
79GPSJ said:
Im dropping a 350 gm godwrench crate engine into my grand prix I dont want to hook up my emissions stuff but if I leave the canister unhooked would anything bad happen because I know it has a line coming in from the gas tank. dont want any explosions happening

Honestly, I dont think it really hurts anything if you hook it back up. It does not rob any power, and it does not look that bad if it is installed. You really would not loose anything by leaving it the way it is.

Im sure some people will disagree with me, but its just my opinion.

79GPSJ

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2008
If i were to hook it back up im not putting any of my egr components on the engine and theres about three lines from the vapor canister that go to some of those components,, switches, carb,, I dont want to just leave those lines open i think there might be vapors coming out of them because of the line that goes to the fuel tank.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
You'll need a friend and a baseball bat for this one. Your friend will be the one holding the bat.

Step 1. Remove charcoal canister from car.

Step 2. Lightly toss the canister to your friend, and have him try to hit it with the bat.

Step 3. Laugh hysterically after your friend becomes covered in soot.

:p

79GPSJ

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2008
:rofl: ha thats funny I had a friend who had a 73 cut.sup. everytime he would come across stupid things like that he would throw them in the middle of the street or ask me if i wanted to buy it for 50 bucks...... but really what should i do could i pinch the line coming from the gas tank or cap it with something

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Definately don't pinch it; the fuel tank needs to "breathe". Honestly I would leave it in place, but if you do remove it put some sort of small filter on the line to the tank, possibly out of the engine bay.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Your evap. canister does just that... prevents vapors from getting to the atmosphere. You shouldn't have any issues by not hooking it back up to the motor, but you need some sort of vent from the tank unless you have a vented gas cap.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Just hook it up. Your fear of all emissions equipment is unjustified. It's just fuel VAPORS, dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor