How Much More Does a SBC Weigh than a Buick 3.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I am wondering what the difference in weight is for a Chevy 350 with Iron heads and an aluminum intake vs the Buick 3.8 V6 as it came in a G body? I am thinking around 150 lbs? Also, how much weight would aluminum heads take off? Aluminum water pump vs Iron water pump? I am trying to determine around what my car will weigh when finished vs stock which was around 3200lbs (V6 Brougham 2 door with A/C, power windows and seat), and also trying to figure out a rough approximation of the weight distribution, and how much better it would be with certain lightweight components. Those components would be: Aluminum radiator support, aluminum bumper support, aluminum hood, aluminum/plastic radiator, and some or all of the engine parts listed.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Hummm, interesting. I'd like to know this as well. Also does the 4.3 weigh the same as a 3.8? Anyone?

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
I recently saw a table with older GM engine weights but I can't find it again at the moment. IIRC, the difference between a SBC and Buick V6 was a little under 200 lbs.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, I will give a bit of a back story to this question. A guy I know just got a 2009 Cobalt SS. I mentioned that I have about 100 more hp than he does, and he says "yeah, but your car weighs about 1,000 more lbs.". I point out that this is not true by asking him what his car weighs, and he says 2900lbs, to which I say mine is about 3400. Well, come to find out, the Cobalt SS weighs 2975lbs. Too much for a shitbox, IMHO. My registration says my car was 3200lbs when new, which I find amusing since 225lbs gets you a much bigger car. Plus, he has a 60/40 weight distribution and I think a V8 G body is around 55/45. Anyhow, I wanted to see what the real weight difference is and also, what the handling difference would be. My car is far from stock and has had weight taken off the nose (about 50-100lbs so far). Both cars have solid axle rear suspensions, but the Cobalt has a Mac Phearson strut front while the Cutlass has a double A arm front with revised geometry. The Cutlass also wears wider tires and will have 12 in front and 11 in rear disc brakes. The Cobalt will have a braking advantage, but maybe not a handling advantage. He also weighs about 100lbs more than me. Oh, and yes...there is a possible friendly race coming from this... If it is at the drag strip, I may be sporting a concealed nitrous system with the solenoids hidden in the A/C box and the lines concealed with black convoluted tubing.

He says the Cobalt SS runs a 13.6, but I saw figures of 14.0 in the quarter. Also it pulls a 0.9g on the skidpad and 60-0 in 115 feet. I know I can beat all but the braking numbers, but I don't know the transient handling difference.

413Cutlass

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2009
Western, Ma
Is the cobalt in question s/c or turbo?
The S/c ones in stock trim can break into the 14 sec flat area.
The turbo ones can tear off mid 13s no problem
Tho seeing it's an 09, it's def a turbo, and it is def a very quick car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30UxICiLlss
with abit more boost and a good driver I could see one in just about stock trim hitting 12s. I may consider one of these for a DD once the Cutlass gets to be too much to DD.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have actually ridden in it and yes, it is a quick little car. Seeing as my goal was only mid 13's with my car, I am now feeling that I aimed too low. I am hoping that when I am done I will be quicker provided he leaves his car stock. Seeing as he had a pretty fast SRT-4 before this, I doubt that will happen.

BTW, when my car is done, it will have a T-5 and a 3.42 8.5 rear end in it which should be worth a little more acceleration.

413Cutlass

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2009
Western, Ma
well what kinda power you puttin out with the chevy?
If you can make roughly 350 at the wheels, with a 3200lb curb weight...
if you can drive you'll smoke his *ss.
cobalts are light but only push 250 at the tires stock, but even with just a tune and exhaust they can make 288hp and 317tq.
If he mods it, it's a driver's race. But his clutch is done for once he's pushing more than 315tq to the wheels. So if he's upgraded the clutch, be ready!

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
The cutty may have its suspension modded but I think he still has you in the handling department. GM and some mag tests gloated about the handling of the Cobalt at least the SS. Straight drag strip is prolly gonna be close. And ya he's definetly got ya on the braking. If you guys do go head to head make sure you get some video!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I know I can beat all but the braking numbers

try some EBC green pads in the front and non power brake S10 wheel cylinders in the back and that'll improve your braking...

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I make somewhere between 350-360hp at the crank and 410-425 ft/lbs. I will be running a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch that I found in a stack of tires in my garage (no kidding!). I do plan on a head upgrade in the future, but for now the engine will stay as-is. I have lots of other areas that need my attention right now, unfortunately. Things like having an interior in the car, tires, post-paint assembly, etc. Oh, and A/C. Gotta have it in Florida during the summer.

I know the Cobalt is supposed to handle well, but that would make it all the sweeter if I could out-class it in an antiquated G body.

As for the brakes, plans call for 1LE Camaro 12 in rotors with Caprice calipers up front, and 4th gen F body rotors and calipers out back (and the hand operated parking brake) once I get the 8.5 rear axle. I may go with better calipers up front eventually though, as well as some larger rotors. Then again, it all takes cash, which is something I don't make a lot of right now. After all, even the most resourceful person needs to buy stuff here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor