How Much More Does a SBC Weigh than a Buick 3.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Here are a few considerations to make about engine weight where Buicks are concerned.

The 455 is 100 pounds lighter than the sbc, stock for stock. Buick engine blocks from the second generation engine platform (not the old nailhead stuff) were all built on lighter castings for the block. I saw the numbers for this demonstrated in a HOT ROD mag from way back where the guy built himself an 11 second 87 Trans Am. He junked the TPI 305 and installed a mostly stock 455 Buick. His front end actually came up a little!

The 350 Buick is almost the same weight as the 455, maybe 25 pounds different. I know this from my engine swapping past. No special springs are needed when swapping around Buick Stuff.

The 3.8 from our G-bodies is based on the older 300-340 Buick casting, not the 350. So, in addition to the front two cylinders, the 350 also has a wider intake manifold and taller deck height. The narrower intake and shorter deck height of the Buick V6 means less weight as well.

You should be in the 150 pound range stock for stock easily (probably more like 200) on your chevy swap. Now, after you add in your aluminum? I wouldn't know. Did you notice much of a drop in your front suspension when you installed your V8? Maybe not if the springs were already worn. I know that when I remove a Buick V6 and replace it with a small block Buick, I only have the slightest of a drop and I usually wanted that anyway. When I have done sbc swaps, I usually had to replace the springs due to the extra weight.

My guess is 200 pounds difference.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Can't remember where I came across this... but I saved it.

Engine Weights
SBC- 575 lbs
BBC- 685 lbs
SBO- 560 lbs
BBO- 605 lbs
Pont- 650 lbs
SBB- 450 lbs
BBB- 640 lbs
Cad- 625 lbs

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
KrisW said:
Here are a few considerations to make about engine weight where Buicks are concerned.

The 455 is 100 pounds lighter than the sbc, stock for stock. Buick engine blocks from the second generation engine platform (not the old nailhead stuff) were all built on lighter castings for the block. I saw the numbers for this demonstrated in a HOT ROD mag from way back where the guy built himself an 11 second 87 Trans Am. He junked the TPI 305 and installed a mostly stock 455 Buick. His front end actually came up a little!

The 350 Buick is almost the same weight as the 455, maybe 25 pounds different. I know this from my engine swapping past. No special springs are needed when swapping around Buick Stuff.

The 3.8 from our G-bodies is based on the older 300-340 Buick casting, not the 350. So, in addition to the front two cylinders, the 350 also has a wider intake manifold and taller deck height. The narrower intake and shorter deck height of the Buick V6 means less weight as well.

You should be in the 150 pound range stock for stock easily (probably more like 200) on your chevy swap. Now, after you add in your aluminum? I wouldn't know. Did you notice much of a drop in your front suspension when you installed your V8? Maybe not if the springs were already worn. I know that when I remove a Buick V6 and replace it with a small block Buick, I only have the slightest of a drop and I usually wanted that anyway. When I have done sbc swaps, I usually had to replace the springs due to the extra weight.

My guess is 200 pounds difference.

Well, I swapped the springs, rebuilt the front suspension and changed the steering box when I did the swap, so I wouldn't know if it would drop or not. I basically stripped the car back to the firewall and rebuilt everything from there. I even swapped the wiring harness to one from a 1985 GP with a 305 so that all the wires would line up perfectly, and stripped the car of every nut, bolt, screw and bracket so that the swap would look as if GM did it.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Believe it!

It's not that the SBO is almost the same size as the BBO, it's that the BBO is almost the same size as the SBO... If you know what I mean... :lol:

The BBO is the exact same as a SBO with the exception of a taller deck height. That's it...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Blake442 said:
Can't remember where I came across this... but I saved it.

Engine Weights
SBC- 575 lbs
BBC- 685 lbs
SBO- 560 lbs
BBO- 605 lbs
Pont- 650 lbs
SBB- 450 lbs
BBB- 640 lbs
Cad- 625 lbs

"The 455 was one of the first "thin-wall casting" engine blocks, and weighs significantly less than other engines of comparable size (for example, 150 lb (68 kg) less than a Chevrolet 454)."

so according to this the 455 BBB weighed 535 lbs ....I never would have never thought that...

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I was blown away when I saw how little more the BBO weighed than the SBO...

With removing my a/c, running an aluminum intake, and once I swap in my aluminum hood and core support, I've more than cancelled out the added weight of the extra motor...
My car will actually be lighter than it was when it rolled off the assembly line...:D

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
The Cobalt SS really hauls!! I got spanked by one last week, I know my Grand Cherokee isn't a hot rod or anything but i had it floored and he beat me in second gear i think. I was doin 60 when he flew past me :lol: I want one but, it would be awesome to have my GP spank one. Whats crazy is that most new cars are coming out with a lot of power and are quick. Now if i can build mine to keep up with a mustang or better yet a new Camaro. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor