Need help to ID a motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Serial on the Block is 4088548. I know it's missing a digit but that's all that's there on the block for a serial.

Engine is supposed to be a 5.7 out of a 93 4x4 truck.

I can see in the pics that there is a cover over the fuel pump
Trying to figure out HP specs and whether it's a roller block or not.

Looking for some help from the engine gurus out there on whether it's a good candidate to toss some heads on and run it as-is until I save enough coin for a decent motor + trans. Took the car out last weekend and I have the 305 blues.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If it is a 1993 engine, it SHOULD say the displacement in liters on the back by the bellhousing flange. If it is a 305, it will day "GM 5.0L", a 350 "GM 5.7L".

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
if it's a 93 motor you have a 1 pice rear seal ,no provision for a fuel pump ,probley a roller motor (as they started in 88 ) , low compression low horse power.
but if it's in good shape and good running order (oil pressure and compression tested) you can trow a cam in there and a intake and 4bbl,headers and have a good power plant. just don't expect a race motor
good luck with your build !

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
88ss408 said:
if it's a 93 motor you have a 1 pice rear seal ,no provision for a fuel pump ,probley a roller motor (as they started in 88 ) , low compression low horse power.
but if it's in good shape and good running order (oil pressure and compression tested) you can trow a cam in there and a intake and 4bbl,headers and have a good power plant. just don't expect a race motor

Nah, just hoping for 275 - 300 hp with the hotcam, roller rockers, and vortec heads I have gathered over the winter.
The thing that throws me about this motor is the fuel pump blockoff plate which tells me it's a late 80's motor coupled with the fact that I have a clear picture of the incomplete serial number on the back of the block which leads me nowhere.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
then it's a replacement block.i had a 93 block once and i got rid of it because of no fuel pump hole. i think they stoprd drilling them out in early 90's.
but yeah like i said if the oil pressure is good and there is good compression high 200's should not be a problem

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, with the LT4 cam ( if that is the one you have), Vortec heads and the right intake (Performer RPM) and headers, it should make far more than 275hp. I would estimate around 350hp at the crank provided it has at least 9:1 compression when you are done. Use steel shim head gaskets as they will bump the compression a bit.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
axisg said:
88ss408 said:

Nah, just hoping for 275 - 300 hp with the hotcam, roller rockers, and vortec heads I have gathered over the winter.
The thing that throws me about this motor is the fuel pump blockoff plate which tells me it's a late 80's motor coupled with the fact that I have a clear picture of the incomplete serial number on the back of the block which leads me nowhere.

You'll be closer to 400hp with the Hot Cam and Vortec heads ;)

Just because the blockoff plate is there doesn't mean it doesn't have a hole drilled. Take the plate off & check it out. Also double check your bearing clearances & toss a new oil pump on while you're down there (use this pump).

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Unless the seller comes to his senses I am gonna pass on the motor. Because the motor is sitting on a shelf in a warehouse and not in a car I am unable to hear it run. I asked if I could pull off the oil pan to at least check if it was a 4 bolt and check the bottom of the cylinders for wear and he said in caps NO WAY ARE YOU RIPPING THE MOTOR APART ! Kinda puts a damper on things because I am not paying hundreds of dollars for a boat anchor !

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor