New Process ? 4-speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

glane

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2007
North West Ohio
i got this transmission with my malibu, along with a saginaw 3-speed.
need to know a little about this New Process 4-speed ( if that is what it is called) it has a NP casted on the right side along with the model number.
any one know anything about them?

glane

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2007
North West Ohio
re

anyone know anything about a NP 4-speed?
need to know if it will work good in a high horsepower
application.
or does anyone know a link that i can look up information
on it?

beachbum29

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Upstate
i'm thinking it's a truck transmission, and may have the granny first gear.. is it cast heavy steel too?

thebaron

Apprentice
Jul 11, 2006
a bit of google magic....

http://www.motivegear.com/tech_info/tra ... guide.html

New Process A833

4-speed transmission, with all forward speeds synchronized. Manufactured in both direct drive and overdrive models. 10 Bolt shift cover mounted on left side of transmission case. Early models had iron cases and late model cases are aluminum. Case length measures 10 5/8 . Used in Chrysler passenger cars 1964-80, Dodge trucks 1976-85, and 1981-86 General Motors trucks. GM models may be identified as RPO code MY6 Produced in 2 and 4 wheel drive versions.

New Process 435

Top loaded heavy-duty 4-speed transmission with cast iron case and extension housing and aluminum shift tower. 2nd through 4th gears are synchronized with 1st and reverse using non synchronized sliding gear. Found in 1963-85 Dodge trucks, 1964085 Ford pickup trucks and stripped chassis, 1964 to 72 GM trucks, and International Harvester and Navistar trucks from 1964-85. produced in both 2 and 4 wheel drive versions.

glane

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2007
North West Ohio
it looks like the new process A833
it has a 10 bolt cover
the case is aluminum
the only thing different from
the pic is the tail shaft is shorter
and by checking first gear
by spinning it, it is 3 to 1
the only numbers i can find on it
is C-15475 and then the NP stamp
its total length is the same as my
3-speed saginaw

thanks a lot for the info!

Floydsbuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2006
Western PA
I ran a NP A-833 OD in my 85 Regal for two years before switching to a ST-10. No granny gear. But it does indeed have a 3.00-1 first gear that launched great. OD was nice on trips too with my 3.90 rear. Its not quite a bolt in. The input shaft cover will have to be machined down if your using a stick G body bell. You'll need socket-headed capscrews to fasten it for clearance. I had to fab my shifter bracket and rods to put the shifter in the G body position, which is more forward on the trans than an old A body. Good luck!

Nov 9, 2007
glane said:
i got this transmission with my malibu, along with a saginaw 3-speed.
need to know a little about this New Process 4-speed ( if that is what it is called) it has a NP casted on the right side along with the model number.
any one know anything about them?

this transmission is a 4 speed with overdrive, they were used in chevy and gmc trucks alond with some dode vehicles. they are very sought after from the street rodders. it is a tough transmission and will take some harsh punishment. i currently have the same transmission out of my truck and have it listed on ebay for $350 buy it now. If you call kurt zeller at just chevy trucks he will get you the info you ned, here are the phone numbers
shop-1-603-335-3350
cell-1-603-866-0327

he is a chevy man and can help you.

Floydsbuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2006
Western PA
Wow, those A 833s are valued quite differently around here. Usually they are 'round $100. Most I ever paid was $90. The aluminum case and really tiny Overdrive gear are weak points. A conversation with Passon Performance recommended that they are not good to use in high performance applications. They are simply cheap OD units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor