86 Chevy Caprice,,Alternator not charging battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCEE442

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2008
Long Island, NY
I re-located the battery in my Caprice to the backseat for the local enduro races.
and since, the battery has not been takin a charge,,
Swapped out the alternator and battery,
first i had the wire off the alternator going striaght to the battery in the back, and the wire was veryyy long..but it wasnt charging still so i moved it to the postive side of the starter solonoid and still no good, now its a little better, its charging at about 11.40's volts,, not the ideal 14.3....
I can disconnect the negative side of the battery and the car stills runs so i know the alt is good,, ive tried everything ( i think )
the only other thing im thinking is to have a higher gauge wire from the alt to the starter solonoid and that will charge the batt?

Any suggestions appriciated!!!
Thanks!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
are you sure you have a good ground for the battery? We run a super stock and we have never had a problem with the battery on a shelf behind the rear firewall...What gauge wires are you running and how do you have the alternator wired..... for that starter solenoid we run a ford solenoid which can be located where ever you want. The ones on the starter tend to heat up especially if your running headers and may not turn the engine over if you ever have to restart it during a race.

KCEE442

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2008
Long Island, NY
pontiacgp said:
are you sure you have a good ground for the battery? We run a super stock and we have never had a problem with the battery on a shelf behind the rear firewall...What gauge wires are you running and how do you have the alternator wired..... for that starter solenoid we run a ford solenoid which can be located where ever you want. The ones on the starter tend to heat up especially if your running headers and may not turn the engine over if you ever have to restart it during a race.

yeah, ive got good grounds, one is to the stock location on the fender/cowl support on the front and the other is to the block, both stock locations, just higher gauge wires... the ground and both the pos and neg to the battery are all 2 gauge wire..the alternator is also wired stock, has the 2 pins connected and then the 1 wire coming from the plug on the back.. ive got no headers or anything,, the class im running and mostly stock with the entire car gutted out.i like the ford solonoid idea tho!

KCEE442

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2008
Long Island, NY
got a brand new 94 amp alternator in, and now i cant even get the car to start.. moved the battery back to the front, ran the cables to exactly to stock locations and put the alternator wire straight to the battery and now its just cranks and cranks..

Ive the the pos battery cable and 2 other cables on the Positive post on the solonoid and the other wire on the small post on the solonoid.. and ive still got nothing....
Im at a dead end..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor