help , dropped rear on GN 3", no travel left

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregInAtl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 5, 2009
Loganville GA
WOW....you are the man 442!

OK, I like the height it is at, it really isnt that low looking....so I wanna stay this height.
So you think my best option is a predropped spring 2"+ if anyone makes one, (this was suposed to be 1.975" drop from OEM...but actually raised my car) or second option is maybe a coil spring w/ a near oem rate so when a coil is removed it will make the rate closer to an aftermarket rate and be dropped down?!!
I like everyone am on a budget, and when my moogs installed were 1" higher than my OEM 1986 coils I couldnt have it.....the ziz wheel had to come out.
I am contemplating using my OEM sagged spring w/ a coil removed (softer rate than my moogs obv) and w/ the new shocks maybe I'll be near where I am now w/ control and a more reasonable rate.
Am I following you? I know cutting a pig tailed coil isnt a great solution, but 3" drop on a G body rear seems to be like shading the sun w/ a magnifying glass.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
This is just stuff I've picked up from books and here on the forum.

I would try to find a drop spring for around a 2" or more. It could be hard to find, but it's worth getting a decent spring rate. And if you must cut a coil, yes make sure it's a softer one than you started this time with. I think most of these cars came with around 115 lb/in springs. You could also call moog and should be able to get the specs on a few different springs that came stock on your car. It's not really recommended to cut over 1 coil but people have done it

You can also google to find spring rate/wheel rate calculators that will help if you'd like to try another moog spring.

(this was suposed to be 1.975" drop from OEM...but actually raised my car)
I'm wondering about this one, where did you get that info from?

GregInAtl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 5, 2009
Loganville GA
TurboBuick.com had a big Moog thread where people w/ OEM cars measured before and after certain spring installs.
I found my issue tonight when I removed the coils and let the car down.....rear calipers barely hit frame still. I will have to notch teh frame up a few inches at that point to clear them.
Friggin rear disc conversion!

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
good to hear you found the problem! make sure to look into those upper a arms.

GregInAtl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 5, 2009
Loganville GA
custom442 said:
I need adjustable ones? I'll rer-read this thread, It was a lost to absorb.
Again, a BIG thx to you 442, I really appreciate your patience.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
GregInAtl said:
custom442 said:
I need adjustable ones? I'll rer-read this thread, It was a lost to absorb.
Again, a BIG thx to you 442, I really appreciate your patience.

that was a mistype, you need upper adjustable control arms on the rear...

I guess now that I think about it, adjustable front a arms aren't a bad idea either... but stick with the adj. rear ones for now

give one of these guys a call and they'll help you with setting a correct angle. My guess is you'll only need upper arms, but they'll let you know
http://www.scandc.com/currectrac.htm
http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/i ... cPath=8_60

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor