Dieting A Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

J$Money

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 10, 2009
jxn, ms
i'm soon to be puttin together a 78 mailbu and i'm wondering what kinda diet i can put this girl on to help her shed some weight and still be streetable. So far i've decided to do either lexan or plexiglass front and rear windshields and rear quarter windows. fiberglass lift off hood and possibly truck, fiberglass bumper, no rear seats. 16 gal aluminum fuel cell summit/jegs racing seats to replace the two front seats, and sheet metal door panels along w/ a 6 point cage. compared to stock weight about how much do you think i'd be shaving and about what would the car weigh in on the scales w/o a driver.

J$Money

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 10, 2009
jxn, ms
what're the cons on using a lexan window. the only reason i was gonna use lexan or plexiglass is because the car doesn't curently have any windows in it other than the driver side door window

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
i believe the car uses the front and rear glass as structural reinforcement. front and rear lexan would prob make the car a wet noodle. could use it for the rear side windows though.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
J$Money said:
what're the cons on using a lexan window. the only reason i was gonna use lexan or plexiglass is because the car doesn't curently have any windows in it other than the driver side door window

Not as safe,as if say a bird was to hit the window. And it scratches easier, at least the plexiglass does. I'm not sure but I don't think I would want to try to use wipers on it either.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
lexan scratches easy and yellow. I put a brand new lexan windshield in a race car, and a crew guy scratched it with a papertowel same day, no joke.

its hard to seal aswell, but for a drag car, glass is really heavy, id say lose the back windows to lexan, leave the front 2 windows functional, and leave the stock windscreen.

you can get a gbody pretty light by gutting it, and switching to aluminum racing seats.

J$Money

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 10, 2009
jxn, ms
w/ all the glass in the car, no rear seats, 2 plastic racing seats, 6point cage, etc how much is the car estimated to weigh

Carsten

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2009
DORTMUND , Germany
Windows

I used Makrolon windows all around on my bug , front , rear and side windows. Driver side window was possible to lift up and down , no problem. Used wipers , too . No big problem , but cleaned the front window often and used wipers not that often.Some good polish work helps , too. So it works , but i think you have to replace that front window after 2 years or so. That was , what i did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor