TV cable bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
I'm putting my 200-R back in my car tomorrow, and after looking at the old quadrajet bracket, it looks like it will work. Is the bracket specific to the trans or to the carb? I'm just curious if it will give me any problems as I'm using an edelbrock aluminum intake with an edelbrock 650. I have never had the 200R trans in the car with this carb/intake setup. The old bracket looks like it will bolt right in and be in approximately the right place. However, I've been reading of the importance of this relationship recently and curious if the the geometry will still be correct, or if I'm going to need Another bracket(I have 4 already, lol)
Also, does anybody know the correct length of driveshaft for the 200R in a G-body with a 7.5 GU4 3.0 G80? Have one at a local junkyard but I'd rather be able to measure and be sure before I pay for it.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The driveshaft for a Th200 4R is the same as for a Th 200C. All 7.5 automatic G bodies use the same shaft length, but the 8.5 G bodies use one that is an inch shorter.

The carb bracket is the same, but the carb's bell crank will not have the proper geometry for a GM TV cable transmission. Also, the stock bracket will not work right with a Edelbrock carb. You will need both a throttle cable bracket for this application and a TV cable geometry correction kit for the carb.

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
I have part numbers here (8031, 8036, or 8030) for 1972-1978 smallblocks off the documentation for my carb. My motor was intended for pre-79 applications. it continues... "Other applications may require modification to the original bracket" How do I know which specific one I need? I've had no luck getting the right bracket the first time with part numbers I got with the carb.
Carb is performer series 1406. There is one guy I know will have it in stock but hes 45mins away so I'd prefer to make one trip.
Thanks for the clarification on the driveshaft 85. Theirs definitely no GN's 442's or hursts or anything at this yard so it shouldn't be a problem.

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
After a quick phone call, I am told the 8036 will work for me. Anyone else have a similar setup? Stuck on the subject because I had to modify the last bracket I was sold for my 700R, and I'm thinking that may have scewed the geometry which in turn fried the trans. :eek: Not happening again!

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
The original 2004R bracket can be modified to work woth the Edelbrach carb. I've done it and it worked fine for years. Basically needs to be cut in the center and lengthed so that both suds will go thru the mounting holes...

It's that simple -- I don't know why so many people make such a big deal about this topic. My with with the modified tv/throttle cable bracket has held up to many years of getting the sh*t kicked out of it. The car is still fine.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I just went through all that hassle. I ended up using a Summit Racing brand geometry corrector and Edelbrock bracket part number 8031. I also have a Performer intake and carb. I tried using the original bracket but the tv cable was really off. The bracket is adjustable and so far after adjusting it, it seems to work fine.

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
See now the guy on the phone where I ordered from claimed the 8031 would not work for me and the 8036 would solve it. I'm starting to wonder if he got it right or not....I hate being sold the wrong parts! Is the geometry corrector/

Basically needs to be cut in the center and lengthed so that both suds will go thru the mounting holes...
any pics?
I ended up using a Summit Racing brand geometry corrector and Edelbrock bracket part number 8031
So you're saying these are two separate items that are not included in one package?

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I ended up using a Summit Racing brand geometry corrector and Edelbrock bracket part number 8031
So you're saying these are two separate items that are not included in one package?[/quote]

Yeah i pieced my setup together. The Corrector http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-700203/ cost about 20 and the bracket http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-8031/ $25. But look in my Photobucket link and you can see the difference between the stock and aftermarket brackets. The 8031 bracket is for 85 and below heads. I tried the 8036 but it didnt seem to line up anything.

Regal Beagle

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 10, 2008
Calgary Canada
SOunds like you got this issue resolved but for anyone else looking for a trick TV setup for a 200-R4 you should check out Bowtie Overdrives. www.bowtieoverdrives.com
They have a really nice set up that works with specific carbs be it Edelbrock or Holley.
I have also found Phoenix Transmission to be a good source for parts for these transmissions. www.phoenixtrans.com

Beagle

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor