holley vs q-jet

which do you think is the best overall carb?

• q-jet

Votes: 126 55.8%
  • holley

Votes: 71 31.4%
  • edelbrock

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • demon/barry grant

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • carter

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
the greatest fight of all time is at hand. in this corner, with the mean metering rod system---the Q-jet!!! and in this corner with powerful dual inlets---the holley!!!
but seriously what i'd like to do is get straight comparisons of things like fuel mileage, horsepower and torque, tuneability, ease of use etc.
whether a holley is better or the q-jet is king seems to be a matter of opinion, so lets leave opinion out of except for the poll. stright forward results that you had on your engine.
let's have a good clean fight.

edit: this is primarily a holley vs q-jet comparison but proponents of any other carb are free to chime in.

455OLDSMAN

Apprentice
Nov 8, 2007
You definately just opened a can of worms here. I voted for the quadrajet as the best overall carb. I have had a few cars with them, they werent performance cars but they had goof throttle response and decent power. The holley has less street manners than a quadrajet but for wide open throttle performance the holley smokes the q-jet. On a side note I had a 600 cfm edelbrock on my 455 when I first got it. The carb idled great and had good throttle response. I ended up putting a 4165 spreadbore holley on it and that woke the car up big time with horsepower but will admit the throttle response did go away. Also believe it or not gas mileage improved with the holley. Im assuming because of the small primaries.

KMac

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2007
I removed my q-jet when i first bought my car because someone had taken a tree trimmer to the firewall and just cut every wire coming out it of (well almost all of them). I put on a 650 Holley and it made it run great and i got better gas mileage, but i never had a properly working q-jet so i don't really know except that my car compared to my friends with the only difference of carb, mine kills him every time

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
The old Holleys I had always leaked, blew power valves, etc, but when tuned right are the best out there. Problem is they don't seem to like to hold a tune. That might all be different with the new Avengers they have.

Eddys have always been good to me, great choice for a driver.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
You definately just opened a can of worms here
that's kinda my intention. that's why i did the corny boxing intro--that and lack of sleep. :lol:
this argument gets rehashed every week or two! i'm hoping to get a complete comparison so everyone can refer to it when the question rises again.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
The Q-jet stays tuned, is more driveable and doesn't drift much when the temperature changes.

The Holleys can be a royal pain to tune, keep tuned and driveability goes down with temperature change.

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
I see that Edelbrock is listed in the choices.

Isn't Edelbrock the only place that actually makes new Quadrajets? I could've sworn that I had an Edelbrock-built Quadrajet in my old Caprice. Alas, the car is gone, so I can't check.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
You should delete Carter from the list and have Edelbrock/Carter listed as one.

I voted for this setup because I ran them on older Buick engines. I've had nothing but trouble with power valves and fuel leakage from Holley and the Q-jet drives best but because of the size difference between primary and secondary they don't come on as quick as an AFB.

My favorite was an old Rochester 4-jet...

None of that matters anymore for me. I run an old 4 jet or AFB to break in the engine and then fuel injection is retrofitted.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Rochester carbs are the only ones I have liked for that simple reason- put them in tune and they stay there. They might not be the best haul-azz performance carb out there, but they sure seem to be the most dependable and least annoying carbs for regular street use. You can purchase from most auto parts stores actual GM/Rochester carbs that have been rebuilt (often in Mexico) and are sold under the Holley name. I'd venture to guess these probably suck though. A good place to look for new old stock Quadrajets is E-Bay, where they can be obtained at a fraction of retail price, which is often a setback for many leading them to buy a much cheaper new Holley or Edelbrock carb- most of those are high CFM performance carbs that are not well suited for a car you wish to drive regularly as mentioned they don't like to stay in tune, are temperature sensitive, and will get really crappy MPG.

-UT-

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I don't have mileage or driveability problems with my Carter AFBs or Edelbrock carbs, only the Holleys give me migrains.

I'm running a 625 Edelbrock on a stock 350 Olds with HEI and have no driveability problems whatsoever. I even get decent mileage with the 2004r transmission behind it!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor