The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero
Get the GBodyForum e-mail newsletter!, Contests, Events, Deals, Forum News and More!
It appears you're not logged in! Not a member? Registration's FREE and only takes a minute!
Register now or Log in to hide this ad block.
GBodyForum Supporting Vendor

12" B body rotors on front of G body

Stuff like brakes, frame, springs/shocks, tranny's, etc. etc.
Rockstar
G Body Guru

12" B body rotors on front of G body

Postby Rockstar on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:33 pm

How hard is it to install caprice 12" rotors on a G body? I know i will need caprice spindles and calipers but iv heard of using F body rotors but what year cars are these? Also how do you get the spindle to fit the ball joint or do you get the balljoint to fit the upper arm?

megaladon6
Royal Smart Person

Postby megaladon6 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:21 pm

just so you know you can use f-body spindles and put on corvette c5 brakes using the Kore3 kit. or for great handling you can go to the sc&c site and get the ATS AFX spindles which use the c5 brakes also. this way there are no suspension geometry issues, which i've heard the b-body spindles have. http://www.scandc.com/products.htm
87 monte ss t-top 200-4r trans. 383ci 4-bolt, 9.7: hypereutectics, forged rods, vortec heads, xe274 cam, Q-Jet-home modified, Evans NPG+ coolant

jerrycad472
G Body Guru

Postby jerrycad472 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:33 pm

Sorry I don't know the details of doing the B-Body Swap, but a few guys here have so hopefully they will respond. If you don't get any help here, try talking to Rick at Baer Brakes or Mark at SC&C. Both are G-body guys. Obviously they are both in the business of selling kits, but I think they will give you honest advice on what you would need to do it yourself. As for F-Body, I think it might be the third gen 1LE brakes that you can swap, remember reading something like that. The suspension on the 2nd gen F-Body is pretty similiar to g-bodys as well, but I think those rotors are only 11 inch.

Make sure you research the B-Body spindle swap really well and get a lot of opinions. I tried to order the Baer B-Body Kit for my Monte, because I had read about how the B-Body spindles improved the geometry of the G-Body suspension. However Baer had discontinued selling the kit because of the complaints they had because of bump steer issues.

The way it was explained to me is the B-body set up will improve geometry and handling thru corners. However the Bump Steer when your heading down the highway makes driving the car somewhat uncomfortable. So you might want to explore you other options and like I said research as much as possible.
81 Monte Carlo - LS1 6-spd (conversion in process)
70 Camaro 472 Cadillac Power
07 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab

beeterolds
Royal Smart Person

Postby beeterolds on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:41 am

i was just told you need to use the spindles off a Caprice or Delta 88...while your at it throw in a set of new ball joints. ..

1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2002 GM 5.3
Edelbrock Performer RPM
750 Q-jet
Early LS1 camshaft

Tony_SS

Postby Tony_SS on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:50 am

The b-body swap is outdated and there are better solutions out there - they add weight and steering track is effected. There's the AFX spindle for those w/ deep pockets or 12" LS1 brakes on a modified g-body spindle, which is what I'm going with.

Stoopud
G Body Guru

Another idea

Postby Stoopud on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:16 am

Hi,

When I can find a set cheap enough... I plan to convert to 2000-2002 s-10 Blazer spindles, rotors, and dual piston calipers. I know alot of the s-10 suspension parts fit G-body's (I already run s-10 front springs), I've also been told on that it will work (but I do not remember where)

Has anyone ever tried this? How does it compare? I am looking for the most economical option (best bang per buck).

Thanks,

Stoopud
1983 T-Top PMD Seat Grand Prix - Phantom GTO Conversion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ZCKxKMqyo

Tony_SS

Re: Another idea

Postby Tony_SS on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:25 pm

Stoopud wrote:Hi,

When I can find a set cheap enough... I plan to convert to 2000-2002 s-10 Blazer spindles, rotors, and dual piston calipers. I know alot of the s-10 suspension parts fit G-body's (I already run s-10 front springs), I've also been told on that it will work (but I do not remember where)

Has anyone ever tried this? How does it compare? I am looking for the most economical option (best bang per buck).

Thanks,

Stoopud

That's another option, just make sure they are off a low mileage vehicle. When the bearing packs go out they are $200 a side.

regalman4925
Royal Smart Person

Postby regalman4925 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:24 pm

you need to get a set of gm tall spindels which came on damn near everything in the 70s and then get a set on f body 1LE front rotors, they are 12" and they have a 5 on 4.75 lug pattern like a g body. i have a set of the rotors that are bew and slotted and drilled, i bought them for a 12" ls1 conversion and they would not fit on a g body spindel so i just got a set of the s10 dual piston selead hub spindles. i will sell my 1LE rotors if you want them, they are new in box and i will sell for 80 plus shipping if you want them. you also need new upper control arms for the tall spindels if you go this route.
84 regal getting full frame up into a CUSTOM-nothing stock about it/20s/air ride/shaved everything/dakota digital dash/355 all dressed up, t-type interior, GN hood n spoiler
86 442 t-top-in progress, 350 vortec based/gmpp chevy/KZ200r4, 17 centerlines, resto-mod. saved from being scraped, stock apperance but built drivetrain, nothing that can not be reveresed to original
84 Cutlass calais-blue-305/th350/14" cragar, getting bagged and making it look old school
85 riviera/all factory except 20s
90 eldorado, sky blue, factory moonroof,e&g white top /16" niches and vogues
05 impala-nothing done to it, the other halfs car
01 sierra slt-driver, 20s

27' Baja 250 sport, gen vi 454, crane 731cam,full roller motor, crane ignition, air gap, gil 4" stainless exhaust, too much to list! this is starting to become something crazy!

i am not a purest by any means, anything gm can go in any gm in my opinion, if you dont like my chevy motor in my car then make me a offer i cant refuse, buy it from me and change it :) lol

megaladon6
Royal Smart Person

Postby megaladon6 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:40 pm

i have a set of f-body tall spindles. used but in rather nice shape. they're off a 75 camaro. $45.00 plus shipping and they're yours. i'd go to sc&c for the fully adjustable upper arms. they have the best price by far and it's a very high quality part. this will also allow you to set the alignment correctly (which is NOT stock!!)
87 monte ss t-top 200-4r trans. 383ci 4-bolt, 9.7: hypereutectics, forged rods, vortec heads, xe274 cam, Q-Jet-home modified, Evans NPG+ coolant

78MC-BBC
G Body Guru

Postby 78MC-BBC on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:57 pm

well last summer i modified my stock g-body spindles, cut down my stock rotor to make it a hub and installed 13" corvette C5 rotors, pads and calipers. i would never consider doing the B-body upgrade "if you call it an upgrade"? this is a great and more economical upgrade since you can get great stopping power and actually go to autozone and get break parts over the counter.

Next

Return to Chassis / Drivetrain / Suspension / Wheels