The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero

How to do an emissions delete?

Articles about swapping engines and anything related, mounts, exhaust considerations etc.
Lorenzo
G Body Guru

How to do an emissions delete?

Postby Lorenzo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:41 am

Wondering if anyone knows how to delete all the emission crap thats for the 305. The car is a 1986 Monte carlo Sport coupe with no computer. Thanks!
1986 Monte Carlo Sport Coupe/305 SBC/4bbl/Headers and Exhaust with Flowmaster 40 mufflers *SOLD*
2000 Monte Carlo ss, 3.8 V6 Daily Driver
1963 Mercury Monterey 352 V8, 2 Barrel Holley Carburetor, Dual Exhaust *Current Project*

axisg
Royal Smart Person

Re: How to do an emissions delete?

Postby axisg on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:50 am

remove your emissions equipment;

Cap off / unplug the EGR, Remove the Cat Convertor, Unplug the Charcoal Canister, ect. Then unplug all the other vacuum hoses to the carb keeping the vacuum advance, brake booster, and PCV hooked up. Wire open the heat riser valve ( if you still have one on the PS exhaust manifold )

But I have to ask why ?? Really no great power to be found with an emissions delete. I actually am looking at replacing my hollowed out cat-convertor ( car stinks in a drive thru or in heavy traffic without it ), EGR, and Charcoal Canister. I want to at least pass a basic visual inspection if MTO yanks me over.

Lorenzo
G Body Guru

Postby Lorenzo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

axisg wrote:remove your emissions equipment;

Cap off / unplug the EGR, Remove the Cat Convertor, Unplug the Charcoal Canister, ect. Then unplug all the other vacuum hoses to the carb keeping the vacuum advance, brake booster, and PCV hooked up. Wire open the heat riser valve ( if you still have one on the PS exhaust manifold )

But I have to ask why ?? Really no great power to be found with an emissions delete. I actually am looking at replacing my hollowed out cat-convertor ( car stinks in a drive thru or in heavy traffic without it ), EGR, and Charcoal Canister. I want to at least pass a basic visual inspection if MTO yanks me over.

Oh ok I thought that the emissions crap would hurt the performance of the car. My car already doesn't have a cat and I can't tell when it smells a bit. So if I remove the charcoal canister would that hurt the engine at all?
1986 Monte Carlo Sport Coupe/305 SBC/4bbl/Headers and Exhaust with Flowmaster 40 mufflers *SOLD*
1963 Mercury Monterey 352 V8, 2 Barrel Holley Carburetor, Dual Exhaust *Current Project*

pontiacgp
Royal Smart Person

Postby pontiacgp on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:24 pm

I suggest you leave the EGR in place, although it recirculates burnt fuel it lowers the combustion chamber temps which allow you to run your timing with more advance..for cats they have spun cats that were designed for race cars which have virtually no resistance...get caught without either they can tow and impound your car and you get a $385.00 ticket

DoubleV
Royal Smart Person

Postby DoubleV on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:46 pm

Lorenzo wrote: So if I remove the charcoal canister would that hurt the engine at all?

No.
85 Olds 442

Botched Olds 350 build by the crooks at Rocket Racing. Lunati 207/213 Voodoo cam, 8.1:1 CR ( was supposed to be 8.8:1 ), Stock #7 heads ( was charged for work that was never done and what was done was done wrong ), American Racing headers, Performer RPM intake, Qjet with 1/2" 4 hole spacer, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe system, cowl induction scoop.

Engine never ran the way it was supposed to from day one due to Rocket Racing's negligence. John Stolpa refuses to contact me about it.

Lorenzo
G Body Guru

Postby Lorenzo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:47 pm

pontiacgp wrote:I suggest you leave the EGR in place, although it recirculates burnt fuel it lowers the combustion chamber temps which allow you to run your timing with more advance..for cats they have spun cats that were designed for race cars which have virtually no resistance...get caught without either they can tow and impound your car and you get a $385.00 ticket

For Canada, if a car is older than 1987 (mines 86) Ido not require cats because my car doesn't need emissions

pontiacgp
Royal Smart Person

Postby pontiacgp on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Lorenzo wrote:
pontiacgp wrote:I suggest you leave the EGR in place, although it recirculates burnt fuel it lowers the combustion chamber temps which allow you to run your timing with more advance..for cats they have spun cats that were designed for race cars which have virtually no resistance...get caught without either they can tow and impound your car and you get a $385.00 ticket

For Canada, if a car is older than 1987 (mines 86) Ido not require cats because my car doesn't need emissions

sorry but you are wrong about that...

Lorenzo
G Body Guru

Postby Lorenzo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:54 pm

pontiacgp wrote:
Lorenzo wrote:

sorry but you are wrong about that...

Oh? I was told that before by one of my friends . I've seen lots of cars older than mines with no sort of fake cat on and they seemed fine. My car has passed safety and cert with the exhaust like that

pontiacgp
Royal Smart Person

Postby pontiacgp on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:01 pm

maybe you should let your friend read this..

Catalytic Converters

5. (1), (2) Revoked: O. Reg. 191/10, s. 6.
(3) If a motor or motor vehicle is manufactured with a catalytic converter, no person shall alter or cause or permit the alteration of the motor or motor vehicle in a manner that permits exhaust emissions to bypass the catalytic converter. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 4.
(4) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor or motor vehicle that was manufactured with a catalytic converter if the catalytic converter, or any replacement for the catalytic converter,
(a) is not capable of performing the function for which the catalytic converter was intended; or
(b) is disconnected, removed or otherwise altered so that it is not capable of performing the function for which the catalytic converter was intended. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 4.
Visible Emissions

6. (1) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a light vehicle from which there is a visible emission for more than 15 seconds in any five-minute period. O. Reg. 401/98, s. 1; O. Reg. 86/99, s. 5 (1); O. Reg. 343/01, s. 5 (1).
(2) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a heavy vehicle from which there is a visible emission for more than 15 seconds in any five-minute period. O. Reg. 401/98, s. 1; O. Reg. 86/99, s. 5 (2); O. Reg. 343/01, s. 5 (2).
Emission Control Systems or Devices

6.1 The following types of systems and devices are prescribed for the purpose of subsection 22 (4) of the Act:
1. A system or device that is manufactured by the manufacturer of the system or device that is being replaced and,
i. is identical to or equivalent to the system or device that is being replaced, or
ii. is manufactured as a replacement for the system or device that is being replaced.
2. A system or device that is approved by the Bureau of Automobile Repair, the California Air Resources Board, the United States Environmental Protection Agency or another body specified by the Director as a replacement for the system or device that is being replaced. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 6.
7. (1) If a motor or motor vehicle is manufactured with a system or device to prevent or lessen the emission of any contaminant, including an on-board diagnostic system designed to identify motor or emissions control system problems and regulate motor or emission control system operations, the following standards are prescribed as additional maximum emission standards for the vehicle:
1. The system or device, or any replacement therefor, must be maintained or kept in such a state of repair that it is capable of performing the function for which it was intended.
2. The system or device, or any replacement therefor, must be kept installed on, attached to or incorporated in the motor or motor vehicle in such a manner that, when the motor or motor vehicle is operating, the system or device functions in the manner in which it was intended to function. O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6; O. Reg. 191/10, s. 7.
(2) Every motor vehicle for which emission standards are prescribed in this section shall comply with those standards. O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6.
(3) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor vehicle that does not comply with subsection (2). O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... 0361_e.htm

Lorenzo
G Body Guru

Postby Lorenzo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Well no cop has even told me yet that my exhaust is illegal, even when they pulled me over for thinking i didnt have my seatbelt on... And the reason i want to rid of the emissions crap is because it clutter up the engine bay. And since i dont need emissions anymore, why bother having it...

pontiacgp
Royal Smart Person

Postby pontiacgp on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:59 pm

I guess you didn't read that...well when do get pulled over just tell them your friend said it was ok

Lorenzo
G Body Guru

Postby Lorenzo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:06 pm

pontiacgp wrote:I guess you didn't read that...well when do get pulled over just tell them your friend said it was ok

I did read it. Ok then so where would i be able to obtain one of these "Hollowed Cats" ?

pontiacgp
Royal Smart Person

Postby pontiacgp on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:10 pm

it's not a hollowed out cat and if it was they use a laser thermometer, if the cat isn't hotter than the connecting pipes they bust you for altering the cat. I run two of these magnaflow cats and you can get them at just about any speed shop..

Lorenzo
G Body Guru

Postby Lorenzo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:17 pm

pontiacgp wrote:it's not a hollowed out cat and if it was they use a laser thermometer, if the cat isn't hotter than the connecting pipes they bust you for altering the cat. I run two of these magnaflow cats and you can get them at just about any speed shop..

Ok Will this hurt my mpg and performance? Also does it alter the sound of my exhaust...i like the way it sounds now :P ! Thanks alot for helping :)

pontiacgp
Royal Smart Person

Postby pontiacgp on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:27 pm

it's almost no restriction so it wouldn't be noticeable...like I mentioned it was designed for race cars at tracks to keep the tree huggers happy but they do work

I got my cats and mufflers from this place in London, I went there picked them up..

http://www.exhaustdirect.ca/

Next

Return to Engine / Swaps etc.