The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero
Get the GBodyForum e-mail newsletter!, Contests, Events, Deals, Forum News and More!
It appears you're not logged in! Not a member? Registration's FREE and only takes a minute!
Register now or Log in to hide this ad block.
GBodyForum Supporting Vendor

SBC motor mounts

Articles about swapping engines and anything related, mounts, exhaust considerations etc.
bigdawg
G Body Guru

SBC motor mounts

Postby bigdawg on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:36 pm

i cant find the block mount only the frame mount. i bought it from oreilly's the frame mount and cant find the block mount. now i realize they sell moroso mounts but i need frame and block mounts for those to work.

these look universal and was wondering if i could use them to drop my 350 in my regal

http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick-Time-BellHo ... ProductId=
85 Type-T with the T-tops '-')b
8 and 1/2 inch rear end
RPO codes G80 and GU6 aka posi and 3.42 gears
200-4r trans
stock vortec motor
heres a ride around the block http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXIEtgRW8O0&feature=plcp

bigdawg
G Body Guru

Re: SBC motor mounts

Postby bigdawg on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:43 pm

well called jegs and they said those dont work, guess im forced to get the moroso set? 70 bucks for mounts holy smokes :shock: it never crossed my mind once that i would have this problem, why do they sell only the frame mounts lol
theres no way im pulling a motor in the junkyard for those mounts
8 and 1/2 inch rear end
200-4r trans
stock vortec motor
heres a ride around the block http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXIEtgRW8O0&feature=plcp

maliburacinfreak
Royal Smart Person

Postby maliburacinfreak on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:28 pm

part stores dont sell them because they dont go bad. ill check and see if i have a spare set laying around the garage. if i do, pay shipping and theyre yours.
80 MALIBU 2DR PROJECT

81 CUTLASS
71k mile grandma ride
lookin' MUCH better with wheels and tint

bigdawg
G Body Guru

Postby bigdawg on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:43 pm

maliburacinfreak wrote:part stores dont sell them because they dont go bad. ill check and see if i have a spare set laying around the garage. if i do, pay shipping and theyre yours.

that would be pretty bad ass, i got the set that came with the 350 vortec out of a suburban but i would have to drill the hole to line up to the frame mount and then after that im sure the motor will sit too high and i dont like cowl hoods
8 and 1/2 inch rear end
200-4r trans
stock vortec motor

gbondo57
Master Mechanic

Postby gbondo57 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:21 pm

I could be off, but, the parts I think your looking for are commonly refered to as clam shells. Three bolts to the block, and if your lucky, the long bolt that goes to the frame mount. I got a set from the salvage off on engine on the ground. This set had the long bolt NUT captured on the shell. When installing, make sure you stab the fuel pump side from the back. Putting it in from the front requires pulling the fuel pump to pull it back out. (I.E. you put the bolt in then the pump) If your frame is not quite "perfect" there will be a shimmy shuffle to get the second one in. I had to "butcher" an old frame mount to fit up. Rots oh Ruck, DuDe

chevyfan16
Master Mechanic

Postby chevyfan16 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Can you post a pic of what you need cuz I think I have a set also and you can have them.

Return to Engine / Swaps etc.