CS130 alternator wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Okay so I have the GM serp belt setup with cs130 style alternator. I also have an autometer voltmeter. I am led to believe I need to solder in a resistor. Can anyone explain if this is true, where I need it, and maybe why?

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Short and sweet maybe? A lot of the stuff I just read doesn't even apply to the g-body...the 12si before this was internally regulated already. I have already wired in the CS130 alternator and now I am just trying to get the voltmeter to work right. I wired the resistor into the alternator as well.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
just did this today, went to junkyard and took the alternator, plug, bolt for back of alternator off a 94 lumina van, go to oreillyauto. com and look up 94 lumina van and look up alternator then click "compatibility" and it shows all vehicles that use this alternator.

anyways use an impact gun to swap pulleys and it bolts right on like old one i had only its bigger since the old one was 60-70 amps and this one is 140.

the plug u got from junkyard has two wires, when its bolted on car and ur looking at alternator from passanger side, the bottom wire just splice it onto the old plug that loops onto back of alternator and tighten it down with the bolt u also took from junkyard. the top wire splice it into the wire that runs into your fuse box.

i did this and my headlights are brighter and my windows roll down faster and now i can put an electric fan or any other accessaries without worry and its definitely worth it if you have subwoofers. i paid 26 dollars at the junkyard and 5 dollars i will get back if i take old alternator back so 21 bucks

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
84cutspreme said:
Short and sweet maybe? A lot of the stuff I just read doesn't even apply to the g-body...the 12si before this was internally regulated already. I have already wired in the CS130 alternator and now I am just trying to get the voltmeter to work right. I wired the resistor into the alternator as well.

Everything is outline very clearly in both those post if you read tge whole thing. Do you have a factory voltmeter or idiot lights with aftermarket voltmeter?

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I did my digital panel and kept my Alt. light. :wink:

Attachments

• 8-17-2010%20036.jpg
    8-17-2010%20036.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,799
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 3,177

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Nifty

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
it's definitely a good upgrade if your still running the stock alt. When i upgraded my alt on my sbc 350 swap it made a difference!! 8) I bought the napa plug harness, $15 alternator off a late 90's Caprice and few ft of thicker gauge wire and terminals. Cheap upgrade the lights didn't dim and the voltage didn't drop much when the dual Intrepid fans kicked on.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Im running a CS144 off of a 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham RWD W/5.7. This is a 140 amp alternator while the CS130 is only 105 amps. I Used the EC80 Harness from Napa as i have idiot lights and run an aftermarket voltmeter. I like the Cadillac alternator because it doesnt have the extra mounting tabs of the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor