olds 307 knocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
I am just trying to gather some thoughts here. I have an 0lds 307 in my 1987 442 that was re built two years ago. It has less than 5,000 miles on it. It started knocking on me, sounded like a lower end knock. I pulled the torque converter back, inspected the flex plate, and started it, it was still there. I did a little more visual inspection, listened around, and pulled valve covers just for kicks. I then pulled the engine and took it to who built it. they tore it down and checked everything out. There was nothing wrong with it. I then talked to a co-worker of mine and he was thinking it was an exhaust manifold leak. I too think it might have been that, I just never heard a manifold knock like that. It was a knock not a tick. Here is a bit of info about my manifolds. When I first put the engine in I had the wrong manifold gaskets, leaked like crazy. I then removed the manifold gaskets and put orange hi temp rtv on them and stuck them back on. Both of my manifolds are cast. After removing the engine there was no obvious signs on the heads of a leak, but the manifolds looked a little dark in some areas especially the manifold on the side where the noise was.
Just wanted to pick your brains a bit to see what you all thought. I'm waiting on some gaskets to get here and the RIGHT manifold gaskets this time to get here. Then I'm am putting it back in and seeing what happens.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I have had manifold leak on 2 cars put just a little heavy duty lucas oil stabilizer in the oil & it was gone a day later it doesn't fix the problem but it helps determine if thats what the problem is. If it's really a rod knocking the noise won't go away it will just be a little quieter & then you know the engine is bad

85olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2013
Does it have the air injection tubes and pump? Are all check valves working properly? Have had bad plugs right out of the box many times (not naming any names but have 3 gray stripes on them!!!)

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
I do have air injection tubes. New lines. New valves. New pump. But i will check it when i get it back together and running.

We determined it wasnt a rod knock the motor was tore down and had no problems. The noise never went away it was always there. Mainly at lower rpms it seemed like

plmberkevin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2013
Check the all the bores and all the pistons may have a hurt skirt and it will cause a rattel.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I've had a bad torque converter sound like this but if you unbolted it from the engine and ran it like you say, that's likely not it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
did you remove the belts and start the car to rule out the water pump and other belt driven accessories ?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
noises in engines are hard to trace sometimes....have you taken it to your engine builder to let them listen to the knock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor