Original components supplyer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

'81 Grand Prix LJ

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2011
Repentigny, Qc, Canada
I'm about to rebuild my 267 the CORRECT way it should have done in the past and i was wondering... Can anyone tell me WHAT COMPANY was supplying GM CANADA in September '80 (birth year of GP) for CAMS, CRANKS, lifters, complete pistons and bearings. Don't get the wrong picture here, my engine runs very well right now BUT it's been rebuilt a few years back and not to MY liking so i want to rebuild it, MYSELF this time and start it all over with all the ORIGINAL components and eliminate a few jobber parts that i don't trust at all on the long run... Big Thanks!

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
At that time, GM was most likely manufacturing items like crankshafts and camshafts in their own facilities, which could well have been located in the States. As for the rest of the parts that you've inquired about, GM probably sourced them from other manufacturers, and those same manufacturers probably supplied the aftermarket, including jobbers. You could pay a visit to the GM dealer that's local to you and inquire with them, as to the availability or original parts for your car, but I would think that its fairly safe to say that the dealer will probably tell you that those parts have been long since discontinued, and are most likely listed as obsolete, which means that you won't be able to get them through the GM parts network. These days, its becoming harder to get any original parts for a GM vehicle that's more than 10 years old, much less anything that's 33 years old.
Exactly what was replaced on your engine during the previous rebuild? Are the cylinders still at their standard bore size, or have they been bored oversize?
To be perfectly honest, most aftermarket parts from a reputable manufacturer are usually just as good as an O.E. part, and in some cases, they're better. Your search for correct stock GM replacement parts may be futile.
Are you having any problems with your engine as it is now, or are you just trying to restore every single part to correct O.E. specs?
I wish you well in your search.

'81 Grand Prix LJ

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2011
Repentigny, Qc, Canada
Well my cam and crank have been replaced along with one piston. The job had been done because of a blown head gasket so it's ok for the crank and piston since i had a ben rod BUT my cam was still perfect (the guy gave me back the original one but now it's a bit rusty since it's been out of oil for a long time) and everything is JOBBER. My engine runs perfectly BUT i truly HATE jobber stuff as i don't trust it at all on the LONG run and YES i'm trying to restore GP to perfect original condition, trying to get back to where his life started! LOL

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm still a bit vague as to why the cam, crank, and one piston were replaced because of a blown head gasket. Then you mention that there was a bent rod. Did the engine hydraulic lock on one cylinder because of the failed head gasket, causing the piston to fail, and the rod to bend?
Also, you don't mention why you HATE (I noticed that you used capitol letters for that word) jobber parts. Have you had a bad experience(s) with them previously?
As I said before, many jobber parts come from reputable manufacturers. I know that some don't. In many cases though, jobber parts are of better quality than O.E. parts.
I think that you're going to find it difficult, if not impossible to get the O.E. parts that you're looking for through GM. The 267 V8 was only produced for 3 or 4 years, and that was well over 30 years ago now. I believe that your best bet would be to search online for someone who may still have some O.E. parts sitting around, that they're looking to get rid of. It may take awhile to find what you're looking for.
As I said before, good luck with your search.

'81 Grand Prix LJ

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2011
Repentigny, Qc, Canada
Well you are perfectly right!!! Hydro lock! the cylinder #2 got flooded with coolant and the rod bent when i cranked!!!!! Of course, the piston itself ended up jumping (and knocking ) on the crank! Why i'm so allergic to jobber crap?? Well, yeah you got it right too... In fact i've had nothing but disapointments with that stuff... So if GM tell me that they were supplided by, EXAMPLE, Crane Cams or Comp Cams, etc etc.. well then i'll give THEM a shout to see if they still carry my original part numbers and order the entire kit!!! That's mainly my plans LOL!

ve3oky

Greasemonkey
May 30, 2012
Ontario Canada
I know someone that currently works for GM's sub'd out quality control of engine parts division in Ontario. I asked her if she see's suppliers names on the engine parts she inspects and she said usually the skids or information with the part there examining do show some information. With that said I asked what the chances where of finding out that info for 30 year old engines was and she said "I can try". So if ya want PM me or respond with your VIN and engine info and I will pass the info on. I think its a long shot but ya never know.

'81 Grand Prix LJ

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2011
Repentigny, Qc, Canada
Sorry for the delay... Got short on free time with work this week... So here's my VIN

2G2AKA37J6B2501348

L39 267cid / 2bbl (J Code in the VIN)

I REALLY hope we'll be able to make it!! LOL THANKS a lot my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor