which body bushings should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
I was looking to replacing the bushings on my cutlass. I want to put polyurethane bushings in the car since Im putting it together as a pro touring style build. My question is which energy suspension kit do you guys recommend? Btw my car has all the bushings also I they call them the gnx bushings. Im looking for the kit numbers. So I can look them up and would like some personal experience with them. Thanks.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Energy Suspension #3-4141 is what I used. It also comes with the GNX floating bushing for the #5 position.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
Thats the kit i was looking at summit just wasnt sure if it had all the bushings in that kit or not. Thanks!

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I use are prefer Prothane brand body bushings. They lack molded in metal inserts that can rust out the frame like the stock GM bushings. Energy suspension brand uses molded in metal inserts that could rust the frame like the GM stockers do.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
I e mailed pst about prothane bushings and they are a 12 pcs set vs the 14 pcs set. My car isnt going to be driven in the road salt or rain that much so im not worried about the steel sleeves. Ill just hit em with some black paint and call it good. :D

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Clone TIE Pilot said:
I use are prefer Prothane brand body bushings. They lack molded in metal inserts that can rust out the frame like the stock GM bushings. Energy suspension brand uses molded in metal inserts that could rust the frame like the GM stockers do.

how does the energy bushing rot out the frame?

$T2eC16JHJF8E9nnC6U7kBQ,yn07Lrw~~60_35.JPG

the porothane brand is basically the same as the energy...

1000x1000.jpg

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
Pontiacgp.. i was thinking the same thing..... :rofl:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Umm, because Engerey Suspension bushings have a metal insert molded into them that contacts the frame like OEM which is a source of future rot problems which I already expained in my earlier post above. But I guess it went over both of your heads.

Here is a picture of Engerey Suspension bushing next to a old OEM bushing to clear things up.
1110or-01+energy-suspension-body-bushings-replacement+body-mounts.jpg

Here is another image from SSLance over at Montecarloss.com that compares Prothane bushings with Engerey Suspension bushings.

Body+mounts+Jan+2013+121.jpg

Here is the link to that thread so Pontigp can't hold that against me like last time. http://www.montecarloss.com/communi...showflat&Main=103323&Number=994092#Post994092

See that gold looking section in the bushing, that's the metal insert that contacts the frame and gets rusty taking the frame mount with it like the stockers. Now if you look at the Prothane bushing picture Pontigp posted, you can easily see they lack such molded in metal inserts. Only poly contacts the frame reducing the risk of rust with that brand. How Pontigp and 06 dodge could miss that :roll: . :rofl:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Jesus, so you had a little frame rot on your car, let it go...

If they're so bad, why did my 30 year old bushings have ZERO rot under or above them?
It's all about what the vehicle was exposed to during it's life. The mounts have nothing to do with it.

I used Energy kit 3-4141 like Jack recommended when I redid my wagon a few weeks ago...

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
I used the energy kit as well, nice kit just don't forget to get new bolts as well. Start spraying them now with WD40 to help your chances of them coming out

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor