aftermarket gas tank slow to fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I thought I saw this mentioned before, but couldn't find any threads when I searched just now.

I put the Spectra RockAuto Special Premium tank in my '83 Malibu. Turned out the original tank was clean as a whistle inside, a dead sender was the only real issue. That tank was scrapped though, and now I'm stuck with this Spectra that overflows if I try to pump at anything more than about half trigger. Makes me feel like a total chump standing there pumping forever while the dollars ssslllooowwwlllyyy roll on up.

Anyone else have this wonderful experience, or should I look for something stuck in the fill tube?

If this isn't just me and it really is these particular tanks, are there any alternatives that fill at a normal rate?

Oh and by the way, the tank didn't fit the same as the original, either. I had to find 1" M10 spacers for the front strap bolts and re-bend the strap.

Funny thing though, the fill tube on the original was too long so a locking gas cap stood the license plate out too far. This thing does fix that problem, at least, so it's not all bad.

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I actually had this problem with a replacement tank on my 89 f350 diesel. Just filled it up real slow. Needed to make a vent but never did before I sold it.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
same issue here. too fast and you'll spit fuel everywhere

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Yup. Same issue here. Good thing I don't put too many miles on it and only fill up about twice a month. I thought it was me and I needed to do something special, but forget about looking it up until its time to fill up again. Maybe I'll try the vent cure.

70Camaro

n00b
Jul 18, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
I had installed one of these tanks into a GN and it leaked like crazy from the (new) filler neck. have any of you experienced this issue? I had to tack and seam seal the filler into place in order for it to stop.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
darbysan said:
Unfortunately, a common problem. There is a fix, but requires removing the tank. Here's a link to a thread that will give you some ideas.
Look at post #11 in this thread
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthre ... t+solution

Well, heh heh, at least it helps to have an idea what the problem is, and know I'm not alone. Psychologically at least.

Thanks for that link. Looks like people have "been there and done that." Offhand though I'd say the fix looks like a bit much for me at this point.

From what I gather, the Spectra tanks were fine in earlier years, then at some point a few years ago this problem appeared. And it seems never to have been properly resolved, as far as I can tell.

Spectra seems to be the only option for this Malibu, unless I want to gamble on the Fineline at RockAuto -- whatever that creation might be.

stuckincincy

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2011
Greater Cincinnati area
I had the same problem with the Spectra tanks. After having the same problem with a second tank I contacted Spectra about it but kind of got the run around from one of their "engineers", explaining venting to me but not offering a solution. But he did get me looking in the right direction. The problem appears to be that their filler necks are not vented properly. The divider is not sealed to the tube all the way through. This lets gas flow up into the vent area and then the pressure spits gas back though the vent chamber.

I got mine through Amazon and they replaced it twice. When I got the third tank I replaced the filler neck with a factory one from a wrecking yard before putting any gas in it and that solved the problem.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
My tank is the good mark unit from gbodyparts.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor