ac evaparator problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

thor4sur

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 23, 2007
P.C. Fl.
Hi . Iv'e got a 79 malibu and my mechanic is getting the ac up and running . I got this evaparator from rock auto ; FOUR SEASONS 54277 . it is listed for just about every g body . According to the mechanic it doesnt fit and he's going to half to modifiy the box to make it fit :cry: . I have had problems with cheep chinese crap in the hobby business :evil: ,but does this sound correct ? I trust the guy ,he has owned a G body race car and is a true work on anything type of guy .

I need a soultion an or confermation quick befor the choping starts !
Thanks a lot : Bill

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Simple, tell him to stop. Get the right part. They are out there.

thor4sur

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 23, 2007
P.C. Fl.
Ok then These are the problems :

1- The evaparator is exactly the same size when measured ,connections in correct places . The only differance is the number and placement of the ridges on the top and bottom of the evaparator. ... Solution some cutting on the box, there's 2 wedges one on top and one on bottom that need to be trimed , then it fits . They picked up evaparators from two other sources exactly the same !

2- drier ; Exact fit driers are no longer available so a "universal" one is supplyed .Fit is done by suppling 3 different tubes to make fit , stillsome bending is needed.

3- Compressors ; they all seem to be supplyed with metric screws so if you have an inch car look forward to some tapping and other fun !

The only reason I went to the trouble of doing this is I'm moving to Fla. and the thought of havijng a BLACK car without AC was not possible ! Us old farts need our comfort!!!

Thanks Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor