Grand prix 2+2 rear window. Does this look right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
Hello all. I have not posted on here for quite some time, however I still do creep the forum every now and then. I m 25 and have owned my aerocoupe for 10 years now. Like most 25+ year old cars with upwards of 350 000 kms on it, it is a bit of a crap shoot. The car looks beautiful and turns heads and receives compliments often. But since I`ve had it so long, I know everything thats wrong with it and have fallen in and out of love with it several times. So when a good sounding 2+2 came for sale locally, I had to see it. Car is pretty nice and the frame rails and rest of the frame is very solid and untouched. My rails have been repaired and there is other week spots. The car for sale has a 350 mated to a T-5 out of an 86 trans am. Runs, shifts and sounds nice. The donor parts came from an Iraqui Taxi G body. I have looked up the conversion a few years ago when i got the idea to convert to manual, it seemed like a lot of work. Of course at my age, I have alot more desire to build a descent wanna-be muscle car than I do funds. I know these cars are not desirable nd therefor not worth a whole lot. Which is also why they have grown on me because they can be had cheaper than other g-bodys. My 2+2 has been in storage for 2 years, so mabe I don`t remember the rear glass as well as i think i do. However Iv been comparing pictures, and something seems incorrect about this glass. What do you guys think? It seems to have a bubble that sticks up near the roof. I seem to remember mine being much more sleek and tapering down only. This one seems to go up then down. Is it possible this glass has warped under heat or from a different model? I know the f body and monte carlo glass shouldnt fit. But was this modified or does it look right? The only pics of mine I can find are not on the computer. So what do you experts think? Look fishy? Or am i chicken? also should mention i have spent time in the trunk of mine chasing an illusive leak. I have found silver or gray overspray. The car in question has a dark blue brace accross the trunk that seems original. There is zero blue in my trunk, hence my suspicion on the glass. Seller doesnt know of the car being blue or a clone. Rest of the body seems very virgin like. I have the vin number. anyone know of where i can break it down

Attachments

• gp2.jpg
    gp2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,270
  • gp1.jpg
    gp1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,974

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am wondering if GM may have changed the rear window sometime during the production, I have seen some with this bubble style rear window (and it does look odd) and also some with the straight down style similar to the Monte Aerocoupes.
I remember reading that there was a lot of distortion in the bubble window so maybe they changed them in later models for safety purposes, of coarse this is all speculation on my part.

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
565BBCHEVY, I feel like you may be onto something there. When i first started driving my GP back in around 2005, I had a buddy whose step father had a 78 trans am. He often refered to my GP as that monte carlo wanna-be with the stupid bubble back window. I always assumed he was jealous of my car...because I didnt understand where the bubble was.(plus the fact that his t/a looked nicer before he painted it....I know he was jealous because my dad is an experienced body man/painter and he is not, so mine turned out much nicer.) My car always looked like a fastback to me.... Sleek and tapered. I couldnt see an odd bubble. I see an obvious bubble on this car for sale. In person the window seems shorter in length to my eye. (again havent had mine out for 2 yrs. but iv got pics plus have been looking at other 2+2 pics.) Is it possible they made 2 different rear glasses? Pretty sure mine is a CDN car and the car in question is US. To any purists I know the hurst emblem doesnt belong and the lower red stripe color is wrong. I am most confused with the rear glass. I realize there are few experts out there on such a black sheep. But if you are reading out there, please chime in.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
GrandPrix2+2, are you the person in Ontario who's had the 2+2 for sale recently? I have one of these cars, and I've heard that there can be some differences in these cars during their production run, because GM didn't perform the final assembly on them. An outside company installed the nosepiece, and the rear glass and trunklid. I've heard and seen differences in the way that the rear corners of the roof are finished, next to the rear window. If you check the VIN on any of these cars, and the VIN begins with the character 2, then the car was manufactured in Canada, at St. Therese Quebec.

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
Clean 84, 85 I do not own the car posted for sale, but it is in ontario. I do own another(in the family since `88) which seems different in the rear. I am familiar with how they were slapped together to make production numbers for nascar(same idea as the daytonas, far less desirable) My question is; is either 2+2 unique or are they both equally undesirable(or the same) im young guy who would love an affordable older toy. im into muscle not rice. am i looking in the right area and also are all rear glasses the same or is my eye telling me something different

pic18

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2014
I owned one of these in 1996. It was original except for a dual exhaust, and it was in mint shape. Mine did not have that bump in the glass. I believe the glass on that one is not original. JMO.

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
I looked at one of these new, decided on a 442 instead. But the window in the picture looks correct to me, the 2+2 window was always different than the Monte's. If they made this in Black, I would have bought it, just not a silver / gray color guy. Not an expert on this at all, but if you like it, can afford it, get it and have fun with it.

Mark

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
On Wikipedia it lists, "2+2-specific pieces are an aero nose, bubble rear glass and a fiberglass trunklid with integral spoiler."
I know" it has to be true if it's on the internet"

Mark

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I went and checked the rear window in my 2+2, and it doesn't appear to have that slight "hump" in it, like it appears in the photo that you've posted. Its quite possible that GM could have either gotten glass from different suppliers for these cars, or gotten the glass in different batches, which could account for the different appearance. The rear glass in the 2+2 is different from the rear glass in the Monte aerocoupe, more rounded on the sides, and unless you can find someone who is parting out a 2+2, the rear glass is virtually unobtainium these days.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Lauren Engineering sells a rear glass as part of their rear 2 + 2 conversion kit and they also sell a front end kit and the pictures of the 2 + 2's on their site appear to be more of the bubble style rear window rather than the straighter style but some of the pictures on their site are 20+ years old so I would say these are factory 2 + 2's and have not been converted.
http://laureneng.com/1281362.html

Attachments

• 17933660.jpg
    17933660.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,012
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor