Stock 307 to ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfox

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2012
I have spent a lot of time reviewing all the swaps on the forum and I am at a loss for what is the best but yet budget friendly. I can do most of the work my self however I no longer have access to a garage. So I am looking for information for what is the best swap and if anyone can help with sending me to someone who can/has done this before.

I am looking to keep this a semi daily driver and enjoy driving on highway to the ocean and to work often. Want to have enough power to be able to keep up with the Rustangs and imports for a little bit. (i am not going to race the car) I need realibility and budget. I would prefer to go M/T also. I am not looking for a complet parts list right now as i see several of these already on the forum. Just if you have a swap or know someone who does in a Gbody what is it and how is it holding up?

Thank you

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
X2. Everything swaps over. A stock 403 bottom end, early 330 or 350 heads with a cam upgrade is a common, potent swap. For manual transmission, look for the late 70's bell housing that came on the Olds 260 with a T50 trans. There are new pedals and new flywheels available for the Olds V8. Your trans choice depends on budget.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
silverfox said:
I would prefer to go M/T also.

What does this mean?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE
I agree that the easiest swap will be a Olds 350 or 403. The 455 with a manual trans isn't just a bolt in swap. I was considering a 455 mated to a Super T-10 but have changed my plans to 403/T-10 swap due to the simplicity of the small block Olds going in place of the 307. I am now gathering all the parts to complete the T-10 install now. You need to figure out what trans you will be using, whether or not you going hydraulic vs mechanical, shifter, console set up, find pedals/linkage and small other things also to make the manual trans goal possible.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
A 455 drops right in and all the 307 stuff bolts up with exception to the AC bracket which just needs two tabs extended.
The only barrier is your pocket book for headers but you can just run W/Z manifolds or stock exhaust manifolds.

Here's my build, did it over a weekend using the 307 exhaust and stock 455 exhaust manifolds.
You can upgrade those later as you go but to get another plant in place simply can be done in 1 day if you know what you are doing...

http://www.gbodyolds.com/forum/showthre ... 9-455-Swap

More info on overdrive trans and AC

http://www.gbodyolds.com/forum/showthre ... ise-and-AC

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
88hurstolds said:
A 455 drops right in and all the 307 stuff bolts up with exception to the AC bracket which just needs two tabs extended.
The only barrier is your pocket book for headers but you can just run W/Z manifolds or stock exhaust manifolds.

It fits without much trouble, but it is significantly heavier, you might need to upgrade the suspension and brakes, and it will generate more heat, so you will need a radiator capable of dealing with this.

I think I can remember a/c cars needing the firewall modified as well, and hood clearance could be a problem depending on your carburettor and air cleaner setup.

To keep things budget friendly I would use a sbo just for not having to worry too much about weight issues or cooling problems. If you put in an engine that makes much more power than your 307 you might need to upgrade the cooling system anyway.
It's the laws of physics, gasoline engines are heat engines that create power by burning fuel, the more power made the more fuel is burnt, therefore more heat to be dissipated.

Roger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor