Misfire HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRest92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2013
Hey guys I'm having more troubles again, this time with a misfire. Here's what's going on...

- car starts up usually on second try when it's cold
-misfire only happens after the car has warmed up and been driving for awhile
- usually only happens under heavier acceleration
- if i slowly put my foot on the gas to gain speed it's fine
-it only happens sometimes, sometimes it's fine
- after it begins misfiring and i get home, it won't stay running once restarted again

I have a 1985 Buick Regal Limited with the 3.8 in it. I just replaced the distributor cap and it ran amazing for a day. I'll be checking the plugs tomorrow, but I wanted to see of anyone else had experienced something like this and might have some advice. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
if you have real misfire, there could be a few problems. i'd suggest you check these:

- faulty plugs/wires
- ignition timing incorrect
- camshaft/timingchain worn
- burned valves, not closing the chamber correctly, thus under heavy use igniting the mixture in the exhaust. this may be caused by poor mixture, wrong ignition timing or deficient refrigeration due to partial obstruction of the cylinder head cooling. As a consequence, the valve is cooled inadequately. Or, running "dry fuel" such as L.P.G resulting in inadequate lubrication of the valve seat. (can happen too if your engine requires leaded fuel and you ran it on unleaded.

if I had to bet, i'd place it all on burned valves, as the 3.8 caused me that kind of issues twice. i threw the engine out and installed a V8 instead ^^

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if it happens after the engine is warm and is more noticeable under hard acceleration that points to the wires and cross fire induction

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor