Boxed Lower Control arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Broke the rear sway bar and took the pieces off for the weekend. Car left nice and straight with not a lot of body roll. So the question is what is the easy way to box the lower arms. I was told that a piece of square tubing pushed up inside the arms and bolted tight works just as well as a full on welded control arm. Ideas and suggestions are welcome only if you have already done the work you are talking about. This means the magazine readers and the key board racers need not reply.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Just because someone may not have boxed their lowers or put a square channel in the control arm doesn't men they may not have some useful info. I have never seen anyone in here mention the square tubing so how about you do it and let us know how it works

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The stock control arms are designed to flex to avoid suspension bind and snap oversteer. Boxing them up only make the rubber bushings distort more and even twist the LCA frame mounts. If you box them then you will need to install spherical bushings on one side of the arms.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Clone TIE Pilot said:
The stock control arms are designed to flex to avoid suspension bind and snap oversteer. Boxing them up only make the rubber bushings distort more and even twist the LCA frame mounts. If you box them then you will need to install spherical bushings on one side of the arms.

please tell me how they twist when a sway bar is installed? The uppers are designed to twist. .. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor