Need Headers for 78' Elco

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_dude named_Ben

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 29, 2014
I would like to know what set of headers (LT or shorties, don't really care) I went through 4 different sets of headers and had no such luck, 2 of them I called the manufacture to verify that it is applicable for a el camino that year. The engine is a 355 from blueprint and if this helps, I have this crossmember http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-770300

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
I went with hedman longtube headers.. Had to ding a tube in the passenger side to make them fit. No biggie. Installed them from underneath by unbolting the motor mounts and tilting the engine..

Sep 30, 2014
I have a 1986 el camino and I ordered a set of shortie headers from summit. They fit perfect, I just had to drop the motor in first then attach them.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
I have Hedman #68310 in the 81 Malibu, They fit great there is a little extra work when servicing the factory (big) starter. Just this summer I installed Flowtech # 31104FLT Great header for the price.The Flowtechs are longer then the hedmans, Im going to say about a foot longer.I had to cut the transmission shifting lever on the trans to manual shift to low gear on the factory floor shifter.

A_dude named_Ben

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 29, 2014
I left out some details that would help, the heads are vortec http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-h8002k, they are ab it wider, the exhuast ports are standard, but I have tried some headers that are supposed to fit the year and model, some where tried to fit and some just straight up were not going to work. Here is a list of headers that I tried.

Both of those the passenger is constantly hitting the sidewall
I have 68608 on the way
I am also going to try to wing it with these 11500flt, hoping that may fit.
If that doesn't work, I'll try the 31104FLT (the number 8 pipe concerns me though)
If I can't get anything to work, I better be ready to spend $$$$ on custom headers.

If I do find a set of headers that "fit" without concern of banging against something, I will post model number and mention anything that needs to be done if someone gets this http://www.blueprintengines.com/ind...g/gm-355-main/item/gm-355-dressed-bp35512ctc1 (BTW the dyno sheet that came with the crate reported 420 hp @ 5400 and 436 FT/Lbs @ 4100)

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I've run Dyno Max, Hooker Super Comp, and Schoenfeld in my G-body. Schoenfeld is the best bang for the buck.

Attachments

• IMG_4350.JPG
    IMG_4350.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 732

A_dude named_Ben

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 29, 2014
@lilbowtie, with the Schoenfeld (186-3?) was there anything you had to do to get them to fit? I think the heads on mine are a little bit wider which is why I am having issues with many different sets.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The first set of schoenfelds I had were the 1 5/8's and fit w/ no problems. The ones in the pic are 1 3/4 stepped headers and had trouble with the A arm and the starter is a pain to get in.
The 1 5/8's had better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor