200r4 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Hey all! I have a 1986 olds cutlass supreme with the 307, but I have the 200c trans. I want to swap out to a 2004r for the over drive. Can I just swap it over, set the tv cable up and be all right or does this trans have the lock up converter? I wanna get the trans from another cutty in the yard. Is the trans controled buy the ECM at all? If so should all the connections already be on my car already ? Do I have to swap ecms? Has any one done this swap? Just feeling it out. I am a capable wrench, just never got into transmissions much. I know the tv cable has to be set up just right or you can cook the trans. Does the crossmember have to be slid back in the frame and new holes drilled? Thanks

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
For the parts swap, grab the crossmember with the transmission. Your frame should have the rear holes in place for it on the drivers side. To be safe grab the ECM, I can't remember if the prom is different for the 3 & 4 speeds. Don't forget the pigtail either. The install should be simple based on your knowledge. All transmission's since '81 should have the lock up converters. I have ran them with the ECM & still shifted OK, just didn't engage the lock up. The tv cable set up should be as simple to set as on a 3 speed. I'm a bit rusty on my automatics info since changing over to a clutch 15 years ago but should be able to help get you in the right direction.

Bruce Compton

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2010
I did just what you want to do with my Malibu. I used a non locking converter and my transmission guy did some work in the transmission. You still have to use the cable but no ECM and it all works fine. Any good transmission tech should be able to help you.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
there are quite a few writeups between here, mcss, and maliburacing. The swap is pretty straightforward. I don't recall if the 200c crossmember can be used or not. I recall my 350c to 200r4 changeover required the crossmember, shifter, linkage and TV cable all needed to be be swapped out / exchanged.

I would def recommend retaining the lockup feature. It can be as simple as wiring a toggle switch or there are multiple lockup kits out there

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
I did this swap in my '84 with a GN 2004R. I used a junkyard 2004R crossmember and relocated it on the frame from the 200C position. I reused all the stock (column) shifter linkage, driveshaft, TV cable, filler tube and converter.

Regarding lock-up, I still have work to do there. My plan is to either reconfigure the 2004R internal wiring to match the original 200C or just transfer the 200C wiring over. Either way, the ECM will then control the TCC as before. Lastly, after a rear gear change, I'll have to do some speedometer gear calibrating. I still have the 2.41 gears in place with transmission speedo gears for a Turbo Regal 3.42 ratio.

bent1973

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2014
DFW
I'm about to take this on as well. Is there a shift indicator for column shift cars that has the circle around the "D"? I've been looking but haven't had any luck. Doing it in a 1980 Malibu.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
bent1973 said:
I'm about to take this on as well. Is there a shift indicator for column shift cars that has the circle around the "D"? I've been looking but haven't had any luck. Doing it in a 1980 Malibu.

It's been awhile, but you should be able to take the indicator plate from a Monte and just swap it over.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I'm in the final stage of my swap. Mine was more of a headache since my frame wasn't designed for a TH400/200-4R crossmember and the fact it was a pontiac mill.

As mentioned,

- You're best bet is to find a donor olds and take everything you can from the carb linkage/brackets to the trans if your current setup doesn't match.

-200-4R crossmember, aftermarket if you plan to run duals obviously.

- if swapping a used Trans be sure to get the correct tv cable length! Be sure your throttle cable bracket will work or get one from a donor Olds. Don't forget to double check how the cable attaches to the carb. I've seen a few different stud styles that can affect geometry and cause cable bind, so you may have to address that too unless you carb is already compatible. I had to buy aftermarket for everything for my application, but you shouldn't have to. There's also universal cables available from TCI (which I also used).

-TCC lockup: I'be seen this accomplished a few different ways. It's been a long time since I've seen a 200C so I can't recall the pin layout on the connector or if it's the same as a 200-4R. There's a ton of write-ups out there for lock-up function, it's just a matter of how much work you want to do and how much you want to spend. I used the B&M lockup kit because I wanted to do it right the first time and have control of my tcc engagement. It costs more, but Ive gotten tired of trying to take the cheap way out just to do it twice in the long run anyway. There's also the cheaper method of utilizing a toggle switch, pressure switch in the trans, brake activated lockup disengagement, etc. It boils down to your liking and what you want to spend. There's a few aftermarket kits or you can piece meal it together if your trying to be frugal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor