Biggest Wheels Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

86hasel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2014
I've got a street strip 86 monte ss w/ a little more than 400 hp in a freshly built 358 and a stock rear end with posi gears. Problem is, it twists the tires real easy, which doesn't really make for the best ET's. What's the biggest rim/biggest tire combo I can cram in there with little to no fabrication? I really don't wanna chop away at the frame or fender.
Thanks

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I used to run a 275/60R15 on a 15" x 8" rim with 4" of backspacing and that was about as big as I could fit without it sticking out or rubbing on the frame.
I then notched my rear frame rail so it was flush with the inner wheel well and I now have 15" x 9.5" rears and have 295/55R15 M/T drag radials and have plenty of clearance and they don't stick out of the wheel well at all. ( In my opinion the way a tire should fit )
With the proper backspace I could run a 10" rim in the back but they are not available in my rim choice.
I personally don't think the frame notch was very hard to do and to me it was well worth the effort especially if you want a tire that will at least attempt to hook.

86hasel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2014
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably end up just notching the frame and buying myself an early Christmas present consisting of bigger wheels and tires haha
P.s. your monte looks kick *ss! I'm a sucker for the cowl hood and prostar wheels

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I agree for the simplest fabrication to get a tire under our cars to handle any real HP the frame notch is the way to go. I went a much more radical fabrication route to get enough tire under mine.

Attachments

• Regal_beforestruts.jpg
    Regal_beforestruts.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,043

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
86hasel said:
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably end up just notching the frame and buying myself an early Christmas present consisting of bigger wheels and tires haha
P.s. your monte looks kick *ss! I'm a sucker for the cowl hood and prostar wheels

Thanks and the wheels are actually a new style from Centerline that came out about a year ago and are Convo Telstars.
My previous rims still in my signature are Convo Pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor