oh boy. car wont crank after shorting alternator wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeppi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2013
NORTH JERSEY
Ok new at this forum thing so here i go.

So i had the red single wire off the alternator disconnected to free up room while i had the valve covers off. when i went to put the wire back on, it touched the side of the alternator and it sparked... now when i turn the key, nothing happens. no clicks no starter. what did i fry?
- this is an 81 elcamino , no ecm. carbed 350.
- also the buzzer comes on when i put the key in the ignition but no instrument cluster power. interior lights still come on.

i believe i traced the wire all the way back to the firewall where it goes to the fuse block
- all fuses visually look ok.
could this be a fusible link?

thank you all in advance!

zeppi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2013
NORTH JERSEY
No s*@t!
gotta learn the hard way. Is the fusible link a type of permanent slo blow a few inches after the starter?
is this type of thing an auto parts item or do i rig up a 60amp fuse of some type in its place?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The fusible link will be connected right to the starter, & be about 2 gauges thinner than the wire it's spliced to. Most parts stores should have them. I am trying to figure out a way to replace mine with mega fuses used in newer cars. Got a fuse box that hold 8 out of a late '90's Olds 88, just gotta find out how many amps for the fuses. This would make those late night blow outs easier to replace (mine always goes at night.)

zeppi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2013
NORTH JERSEY
Found it.
turns out one of the wires going to the "s" post on the starter was crapped up, cracking and missing insulation from all the heat from the headers.
when i arced the alternator i suppose it was the straw that broke the camels back. when i touched the wire , it disintegrated. Now that i wired up new leads the power windows roll up faster and headlights seem brighter too.
- also, you got me thinking of mega fuses now. i gave it a look, totally gonna wire up a 250 - 300 amp main fuse on the positive terminal at the battery. cheap insurance.

Attachments

• WIRE.jpg
    WIRE.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 1,063

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
with headers I like running a Ford style remote solenoid. The only wire going to the starter is the starter cable and it's dead except when starting the car and the smaller wires are kept away from the headers

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Thats interesting I would like to see how ya make that work. LOL. The solenoid not only provides power from the bat to the brushes it also throws the bendix to mate with the flywheel. With one wire going to the starter all it will do is spin all day without turning the flywheel. LOL.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I've run the Ford solenoid setup for years. It's the only way to go for reliability in my opinion. Also makes hooking up the starter easier under the car.

Pontiac455, I'm going off memory here from my install but what you have to do is tie the battery post on the starter to the ignition post using either a flat piece of metal or suitable wire.

You then just move the wires that went to the ignition side of the original starter solenoid to the new Ford solenoid.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
"....tie the battery post on the starter to the ignition post using either a flat piece of metal or suitable wire......"

Yup. A common practice dating back to the 70s. For a few years GM even offered it as an over the parts counter kit (solenoid, buss bar for the starter, extended wires and instructions) for cars/trucks that had hot start problems.

I do the conversion on every GM (and many of the old MOPARs) I build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor