slugish sbc 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedchevy

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2011
CaLi
Hey guys looking for some insight,
1979 el camino. so I have a crate 350 mild cam nothing major Holly 670 carb and 700 r4 transmission I also have a shift kit installed. Original posi rear end stock gear ratio (upgrading to 3.73 soon) one wud think I have all the right ingredients for a decent street car, but the problem I'm having is when in OD gear(on freeway) seems I have no power. :blam: Step on the gas no response i mean it goes jus takes time to get up to speed...

bleedchevy

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2011
CaLi
Fyi this has been a restore project for me jus about everything new or refreshed.
Motor n trans have about 750 miles together since rebuilt.

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
I'm thinking it's the gearing. You could have 2.41 gears outback, it's going to be very sluggish in OD.

bleedchevy

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2011
CaLi
So I shud take it easy till I get the gears? Is it safe to drive like that? current gears

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
So what is the gear ratio you have now. The 3.73 gears will help your problem go away. For now just run it in 3rd gear if you want.

bleedchevy

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2011
CaLi
Yav8 currently gears are 2.29. Above is a pic

bigboikc07

n00b
Oct 26, 2014
i believe your problem is the gears i just swapped my 2.56 gears for a 3.73 monte carlo ss rear and man was it a big difference but nice build keep it going put some gear in it and youll never want to stop driving it like me

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
what kind of stall speed is the converter? I just upgraded from 2.14's or 2.41's to 3.73's not too long ago. other than that pretty similar. mild 350 and 700r4 and my rear was originally peg leg 7.5. I know this might sound odd but I actually like my dead gears better for higher top speed...on the parkways here in ny 75 is the new 55 lol. With 3.73's cruising at 70mph I'm right around 2300-2500 and don't like bringing rpms any higher for a constant cruise. With those gears if you were cruising at say 55-65mph and went wot trans should drop into 3rd and take off...otherwise in OD with converter locked it will be sluggish, almost sounds like chugging when accelerating moderately

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
That rear end definitely isn't helping you. Is your throttle cable adjusted properly?? - the car should downshift at highway speeds when you get on the gas. Also unsure of what HP crate motor you have but you are probably running under the RPM range of the cam along with a stock converter and large head runners it will be sluggish. Does the engine come to life around 3000 rpm???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor