Setting in distributor BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Alright guys im lost here. Last night I broke in my 496 but I could tell something was off. It wouldn't idle and would randomly back fire out of the carb on deceleration, it also smelled rich. I played around with the timing today and found that I was 1 tooth off. Sweet simple fix right? Well now it's worse and barely runs at all. I went back and verified that #1 was at TDC but now at TDC the balancer reads about 20 degrees instead of 0 like when I marked the balancer with the engine on the stand. The distributor is pointing right at #1 on the cap. Not off to one side at all. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Start off with the basics, was the timing tab matched to the balancer diameter when it all was put together? Next, back tracking, was anything put in 180* out? Another thing is valve train, stuck valve, a lifter collapsed/didn't fill when primed, or a bent push rod. This sounds like an issue I had with a 350 years back, turned out to be a bad valve.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pagrunt said:
Start off with the basics, was the timing tab matched to the balancer diameter when it all was put together? Next, back tracking, was anything put in 180* out? Another thing is valve train, stuck valve, a lifter collapsed/didn't fill when primed, or a bent push rod. This sounds like an issue I had with a 350 years back, turned out to be a bad valve.
No bent pushrods, all lifters appear to be pumped up. I press on the pushrod and they are stiff, no play at all. No spring bind, valves appear to be closing. Now that I think of it the damn timing tab was for a small block :oops: But what would that mean at this point? I already found TDC and according to Comp my cam should be around 25 degrees at TDC.

What do you mean anything put 180* out? Cam was put in pointing at 6 o clock with crank at 12. If that was the issues why did it run okay last night with only the typical timing issues?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Just meant to double check if the distributor was put in to match TDC, nothing was bumped during priming. After "un-fixing" my brothers fixes on his cars, I've seen things work in ways they should not & to this day figure how he made it work.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pagrunt said:
Just meant to double check if the distributor was put in to match TDC, nothing was bumped during priming. After "un-fixing" my brothers fixes on his cars, I've seen things work in ways they should not & to this day figure how he made it work.
Yea I got ya. It's taken me 2 years to build this engine so I have gone over everything a few times. Im not saying it's not possible I screwed something up but so far everything appears to be fine. Wonder if I just got a bad distributor? Im lost so hopefully someone can chime in

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
It's probably something stupid - go back @ it with some fresh eyes double check everything. Last time I had something like this my son found a crossed plug wire which I swore was right.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
When you moved the distributor did you move the plug wires also ??
If not,this could be part of your problem. Here is a diagram;
https://www.google.ca/search?q=big+bloc ... d=0CBwQsAQ
Did you check the weights in the distributor and make sure they aren't sticking ??
It's easy to get # 5 & 7 plug wires mixed up,it's happened to me before.Take your time and double check everything.
You could also have a vacuum leak.Are all the hoses hooked up ?? Make sure any ports not being used are plugged.
Let us know how you make out...
Guy

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
is the balancer new? I have seen them slip on the rubber, and the outer ring will not match the hub, so your TDC mark may not actually be TDC. May want to verify the piston is actually at TDC when the balancer says so. Even if it is new it is still worth a look.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Lilbowtie, I never even double checked the wires now that I think of it. I had to take a few off to get the cap out of the way enough to pull distributor. Too bad im at work now I get to think about it all day :x

Guy, all of my ports on the Qjet are plugged. I unhooked the vacuum advance and plugged that for now as well. The first backfire it had it blew a vacuum plug of the front of the carb and I still can't find it so I had to rig one up.

tetomas, the balancer is new. It came with the rotating assembly. I verified the piston was at the top using a friend and a wire. Both valves closed and piston is at it's highest point. Balancer reads 24-25 degrees which matches what the cam sheet says.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I'm a little confused - I f your piston is at TDC the balancer should read "0" OR - are you talking about the reading on the degree wheel degreeing the cam in ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor