07 sierra 6.0 dod delete advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
My best friend has o7 Sierra 6.0 with dod. Lifter is making am awful racket. He pulled it out put back in a new 1 and it ran fine for 3 days. But came back with a vengeance. I talked him into a delete. From what I understand, get a gen 3 valley cover, plug prv in the oil pan, drill/tap towers with a set screw. Then new lifters. Does he need a new cam(or could i regrind it?? Am I missing anything? Thanks

Last edited:

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Texas Speed sells the kit. You'll need a tune also to turn it off. Gen III Valley Cover will not go on a Gen IV Engine, whole different thing.

Cam stays the same unless a Lifter wasted a Lobe.

There's a guy in here that is more knowledgeable than most of us with that one...

Reactions: 1 user

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Texas Speed sells the kit. You'll need a tune also to turn it off. Gen III Valley Cover will not go on a Gen IV Engine, whole different thing.

Cam stays the same unless a Lifter wasted a Lobe.

There's a guy in here that is more knowledgeable than most of us with that one...
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. I'm still googling, but getting all kinds of conflicting info. Some say just put it back together and tune it out, others say buy a cover that has orings in it to block the tower, 1 thread I read said I had to change the oil pump. Block the pressure relief valve or something like that.
He's a great friend(gave my son a microtech knife and computer last night) and already changed it 1x and has let it sit for a yr. Its mint, no rust 07 sierra 1500 6.0 Maxx 4x4. I just want to get it going reliably for him. I'm not charging him but still ill fill liable for any damages that arises from my mistakes. I'm not real versed in hen 3 stuff, let alone gen 4. I hate asking questions here that Google can answer, but I trust you guys more.
Edit: I emailed Texas Speed after getting on the website, they have alot of options for the delete kit. Not sure which things are wants vs needs.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
The DOD oil pump is a bit much for a non-DOD motor, I think my friend did an LS6 or equivalent pump when he deleted his DOD. Do the cover with the o-rings instead of sending (more) metal shavings throughout the motor and don't be shocked if if did wipe out the cam.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
ICT billet sells a valley pan that blocks off the gen4 oil passages for DOD. Inspect your cam CLOSELY as there will most likely be damage somewhere on it from the failed lifters. Besides that, it's really just a cam & lifter swap, redesigned valley block off pan, and a tune. Everything else is either a want, or replacing broken/damaged parts.

Reactions: 1 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
ICT billet sells a valley pan that blocks off the gen4 oil passages for DOD. Inspect your cam CLOSELY as there will most likely be damage somewhere on it from the failed lifters.
Thanks. I feel like I'm about to ask another stupid question but fug it. Could I use my old lq4 cam?

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Thanks. I feel like I'm about to ask another stupid question but fug it. Could I use my old lq4 cam?
Absolutely only issue will be cam sensor/timing gear etc. Need to plan that out. Gen 3 has no sensor on cam gear, gen 4 does, but timing gears won't swap from gen 3 to 4 or 4 to 3.

Gen 3 cams are three bolt, Gen 4 are single bolt in the center

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Absolutely only issue will be cam sensor/timing gear etc. Need to plan that out. Gen 3 has no sensor on cam gear, gen 4 does, but timing gears won't swap from gen 3 to 4 or 4 to 3.

Gen 3 cams are three bolt, Gen 4 are single bolt in the center
Depends on the Cam.. I've seen many LS2 3 bolt Cams and that's a Gen IV Engine.. ;)

If using the 3 bolt LQ4 Cam you need a Timing Gear like this..

GEAR.jpg

These came factory in the later Gen III stuff, my 2006 6.0l that is in my SS had one in it. That will work with the Engine in that truck to put the LQ4 Cam in it.

As mentioned, look over the current Cam in it to see if any damage.

I've done a few, we had a procedure:

Valley Cover swap, or block off oil passages
Lifter Swap to LS7 Lifters, which now all the Non-AFM ones are that
Plug Relief Valve in Pan
New Red O-Ring on Oil Pickup Tube
Adjusted Tune in the PCM

We never swapped the Cam out because it had no damage, caught it early with just the Lifter tick.

The DOD oil pump is a bit much for a non-DOD motor, I think my friend did an LS6 or equivalent pump when he deleted his DOD.
Yea the LQ4 and LS6 Pumps are the same I believe, I keep the spare LQ4 ones. One thing about the Oil Pump tho the pressure relief sping in the pump is 80# I think. Volume is absolutely no issue in the LS Engines, it is a good thing why I've never changed the AFM Pumps out and we never had issues.

I'm more awake now than I was earlier, hence more tech info here haha..

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Depends on the Cam.. I've seen many LS2 3 bolt Cams and that's a Gen IV Engine.. ;)

If using the 3 bolt LQ4 Cam you need a Timing Gear like this..

View attachment 216312

These came factory in the later Gen III stuff, my 2006 6.0l that is in my SS had one in it. That will work with the Engine in that truck to put the LQ4 Cam in it.

As mentioned, look over the current Cam in it to see if any damage.

I've done a few, we had a procedure:

Valley Cover swap, or block off oil passages
Lifter Swap to LS7 Lifters, which now all the Non-AFM ones are that
Plug Relief Valve in Pan
New Red O-Ring on Oil Pickup Tube
Adjusted Tune in the PCM

We never swapped the Cam out because it had no damage, caught it early with just the Lifter tick.

Yea the LQ4 and LS6 Pumps are the same I beleive, I keep the spare LQ4 ones. One thing about the Oil Pump tho the pressure relief sping in the pump is 80# I think. Volume is absolutely no issue in the LS Engines, it is a good thing why I've never changed the AFM Pumps out and we never had issues.

I'm more awake now than I was earlier, hence more tech info here haha..
You're right I forgot about that one!

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
FWIW with the Oil Pumps, I always put the Melling M295 High Volume Pumps in any of the LS Engines I put together to run. I port and polish the inlet and outlet also. That is the current one in my SS.

I know a few people who have gone to Orielly's looking for an LS Oil Pump, even ones with a GM Part number are coming in Melling boxes..seen a couple from dealerships with Melling on them also..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor