1/4 mile times

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPNX

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2016
I didn’t mean to start a 350 ls war here . Both engines are good I like the 5.3 though glad I did it. And yes the throttle response is the fuel injection. I think I will just run it the way it is now at least for this year and just have fun with it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Two motors for different purposes. If you want affordable and simple you go with a Gen 1. If you want dead nuts reliable, with room to grow without having to do a complete rebuild pick an LS. Even Gen 3 LS are proven to 600whp and the rods are considered fragile. That's pretty impressive for an assembly line motor.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I can't wait until spring to put some of this to rest. I have what is essentially a stock L76 with a cam and headers. If I don't put down 400 wheel I'm gonna be disappointed.

That's going to depend on the Dyno along with many other variables. My car on a Mustang Dyno (heartbreaker) made 463 tire. Guy running it said on a dynojet it would be more like 550. So take that for what it's worth. The impressive part was the 540 wheel torque. I keep hearing that LS engines don't make any torque, this one makes 700 lb/ft at the crank. Stock cam FTW.

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
That's going to depend on the Dyno along with many other variables. My car on a Mustang Dyno (heartbreaker) made 463 tire. Guy running it said on a dynojet it would be more like 550. So take that for what it's worth. The impressive part was the 540 wheel torque. I keep hearing that LS engines don't make any torque, this one makes 700 lb/ft at the crank. Stock cam FTW.
Did you start pre-mixing diesel for it?

• Haha

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
I always sit back and hear all the talk at the swap meets and car shows on all the power their cars and trucks make on the dyno. Not sure where the 87hp is lost or gained from one dyno to the other. Sound to good most of the time, but it fits the story being told. I hear the talk but you seldom see the same person or car at the track backing up the dyno numbers with a real ET or MPH slip. Its not hard to make power now days with a check book or credit card. I see them all the time at the friday night TNT, big numbers on the dyno but a 350hp set up in the car. More like the saying goes HOLD MY BEER and WATCH THIS. Its not which motor is better the LS or the Gen 1 it putting that power to the ground.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I always sit back and hear all the talk at the swap meets and car shows on all the power their cars and trucks make on the dyno. Not sure where the 87hp is lost or gained from one dyno to the other. Sound to good most of the time, but it fits the story being told. I hear the talk but you seldom see the same person or car at the track backing up the dyno numbers with a real ET or MPH slip. Its not hard to make power now days with a check book or credit card. I see them all the time at the friday night TNT, big numbers on the dyno but a 350hp set up in the car. More like the saying goes HOLD MY BEER and WATCH THIS. Its not which motor is better the LS or the Gen 1 it putting that power to the ground.
True. People always saying that they know about all these huge power cars but when it comes time to bring them out or shutup and run your junk there is a long line of BS.

My car is far from the fastest junk around and I could tell you how stout it is but words don't do it justice. It has to be experienced to be appreciated.

The difference in Dyno numbers is based on many factors. Just changing the correction factor can make a large difference in the final number.

• Agree

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Dyno / Chassis Dyno - Hp / wheel Hp ! Big difference, Putting Hp to the ground is all about the complete package or combo. All your parts need to complement each other for their intended purpose.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Here is a good argument for the LS. How many other GM brand (BOPC) loyal guys went with the sbc, very few. How many guys went LS, a lot more. No comparing block strength, LS wins hands down and other than the Vortec heads, the factory sbc heads suck. The LS is first motor that nearly 100% factory parts can be used to make huge power. I only don't like the gen 3-4 motors stock, they suck to be honest in the heavy trucks, the 2011 5.3/6spd was brutal I drove, it never found a spot that felt good. I drove at work a 2017 with the gen 5, 5.3/8spd, it sure felt like way more than 25 hp and much better mileage. We drove my BIL 2017 on a long trip, nice but stuffy in the back seat. My wife drove like she usually does, it kept up with here driving habits:). I would probably change my mind with a 5.7 or 6L LS in a much lighter car, especially with boost. I think a 6L80 would also be worth trying with good shift programming, much better gearing than the 4 spd autos. It sounds like they have less issues than GM's 8 spd. I would assume the new Ford/GM 10 spd trans will be massive and a hard fit in older cars. Also, how different is the LS bellhousing pattern vs the sbc bellhousing pattern?

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Here is a good argument for the LS. How many other GM brand (BOPC) loyal guys went with the sbc, very few. How many guys went LS, a lot more. No comparing block strength, LS wins hands down and other than the Vortec heads, the factory sbc heads suck. The LS is first motor that nearly 100% factory parts can be used to make huge power. I only don't like the gen 3-4 motors stock, they suck to be honest in the heavy trucks, the 2011 5.3/6spd was brutal I drove, it never found a spot that felt good. I drove at work a 2017 with the gen 5, 5.3/8spd, it sure felt like way more than 25 hp and much better mileage. We drove my BIL 2017 on a long trip, nice but stuffy in the back seat. My wife drove like she usually does, it kept up with here driving habits:). I would probably change my mind with a 5.7 or 6L LS in a much lighter car, especially with boost. I think a 6L80 would also be worth trying with good shift programming, much better gearing than the 4 spd autos. It sounds like they have less issues than GM's 8 spd. I would assume the new Ford/GM 10 spd trans will be massive and a hard fit in older cars. Also, how different is the LS bellhousing pattern vs the sbc bellhousing pattern?

The bellhousing is the same. One hole filled in because the cylinder is too close to the back of the block and the top hole is used where it wasn't before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor