100 + amp alternator/Factory wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Hey All. I`m considering at lest a 100 amp alternator . My Questing is will the stock 78-81 Malibu/El Camino wiring harness handle the extra amps. I have twin electric fans and want to up the amps. Thanks

Doug

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The wiring harness will be fine. Bonus points for running a 4ga charge line, alternator to battery. Just remember: the alternator responds to the load (up to 100a, in this case). It doesn't always put 100a out; it's capable of it.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I run a DC Power 180 in my Monte and it still has the factory wiring in place but all of my accessories are on their own hi amp wiring with fuse panels and relays, by the way my charge wire to the alternator is 1/0 fine strand welding cable.

• Informative

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
There is info on line to find out what your accessories pull so depending what you have leave yourself a safe margin, also for a street car with a lot of accessories idle amperage is very important.
I overheated a 200 amp name brand alternator on the Dream Cruise years ago because I was mostly just idling and exceeded the idle amperage of the alternator with my dual fans on high and my pusher and trans fans on plus running a big electric fuel pump MSD etc.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Be careful buying a 10 SI case 100 amp alternator. They burn out due to not enough cooling. Most SI alternators are based off the 10SI case instead of the better cooling 12SI case.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Bigger is better
It also depends on V-belt or serpentine, you can go much higher amp with a serpentine because you don't have to worry about the belt slipping under full load

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor