12V During cranking......

Status
Not open for further replies.

LioFR

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 6, 2012
Sete,south of France
Hi guys...

i've a boring problem with my 79 Cutlass...

i've installed a 305 chevy to replace the tired diesel engine but...i can't find a way to connect the HEI to a 12V who stay hot during cranking....

maybe need a relay or anything else ?

all the 12Volts shut down to 0 when i turn the key

i don't want to connect it to a permanent wire, i want to use the key to start and off the engine....

thanks for your help

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My guess would be to swap in a standard ignition switch that sends 12 volts to the HEI in "RUN" and "START". Everything turning off when the key is in "START" position is normal, on all cars. Since you had a diesel, no need for the 12 volts for ignition, just the starter. I would bet the correct ignition switch is a direct interchange, or the terminal might even be there, just not used.

LioFR

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 6, 2012
Sete,south of France
have you tested the wiring at the ignition switch?

yes,i've tested all wires.all turns off at cranking.

My guess would be to swap in a standard ignition switch that sends 12 volts to the HEI in "RUN" and "START". Everything turning off when the key is in "START" position is normal, on all cars. Since you had a diesel, no need for the 12 volts for ignition, just the starter. I would bet the correct ignition switch is a direct interchange, or the terminal might even be there, just not used.

I think your right.
in my mind, all the ignition switch are the same but like you say....diesel don't need 12V for ignition !!!!
And i think i have one from another cutlass in stock to try

i love my stupidity

Thanks for your ideas.

See you after tests

LioFR

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 6, 2012
Sete,south of France
Okay, the ignition switch between diesel and gas are not the same....and the harness beetwen switch and fuse box too !!! I have the switch but not the harness....anyone know where i can find one ??anyone have one to sell ? Thanks guys

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Why not just cut the e-brake and wire up a manual choke already. It's just an old 305 that doesn't even deserve HEI to begin with...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor