+12v with key on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Is there another option? Tapping into without fuse?
All the newer factory stuff is fused but at the battery or at the box.

I used the Fuse box out of a 1998 Camaro in my SS, wired it in. Pink wire in is what powers all key-on ignition circuits. I used the dizzy power wire coming off the key switch. The big fuses in the box are there inline on them circuits as well as battery power coming in for stuff. All 12v trigger wires to the relays are protected by a fuse. Very low amp load, the relay has to lock up to pop that fuse pretty much. Never had one go in the years I've had cars. Wire it right and they last.

20220920_061500.jpg

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Coming out of the fuse Box it's going to be fused already, that circuit if it's going to the 86 terminal on the relay is not going to have a lot of load so 10A at the most.

Here's the thing to think about, if you blow that fuse you lose everything.
If I understand this correctly, all wires coming out of the bulkhead connection are fused right ? If thats the case why not just tap into one of the open terminals like Im doing ? Is is due to load size ? Im assuming since its a 56 terminal size on the inner portion its for a 16AWG wire. All the 12AWG wires on the block are 59 terminals.

Last edited:

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
If I understand this correctly, all wires coming out of the bulkhead connection are fused right ? If thats the case why not just tap into one of the open terminals like Im doing ? Is is due to load size ? Im assuming since its a 56 terminal size on the inner portion its for a 16AWG wire. All the 12AWG wires on the block are 59 terminals.
At some point everything is fused, whether blade fuse or fuseable links.
All battery constant power red wires from the battery going into the car, in which factory Gbody stuff is on the starter, have inline fuseable links. From there they feed into the car and power everything in the car through the fuse box or ignition switch. Then you have your blade fuses on the individual circuits.

So yea, everything is fused already, I guess my mind was thinking over kill on the safety side.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
At some point everything is fused, whether blade fuse or fuseable links.
All battery constant power red wires from the battery going into the car, in which factory Gbody stuff is on the starter, have inline fuseable links. From there they feed into the car and power everything in the car through the fuse box or ignition switch. Then you have your blade fuses on the individual circuits.

So yea, everything is fused already, I guess my mind was thinking over kill on the safety side.
That being said, Im probably good to go with this wire Im putting in right ? After I started running replacement wires out of the bulkhead connector (a lot were spliced and taped under the hood) I looked at what was left and deleted wires that were no longer used. Im not sure what came out of this slot but it is hot with the key on.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Im not sure what came out of this slot but it is hot with the key on.
This is why Id prefer to use an open slot on the fuse panel.

One last question. I am using a universal fuse block with 6 slots which is mounted with my 4 relays on a plate near the battery. So fused power from the battery to the relays is clean and compact. They are 30 amp relays and power in is handled by 12-14 gauge wire as indicated by instructions. What size wire should i run from battery to fuse block? I do not intend to run anything else off the two empty slots.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
This is why Id prefer to use an open slot on the fuse panel.

One last question. I am using a universal fuse block with 6 slots which is mounted with my 4 relays on a plate near the battery. So fused power from the battery to the relays is clean and compact. They are 30 amp relays and power in is handled by 12-14 gauge wire as indicated by instructions. What size wire should i run from battery to fuse block? I do not intend to run anything else off the two empty slots.
That fuse block is solely for fusing the 12v trigger wires for the relays?

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
That fuse block is solely for fusing the 12v trigger wires for the relays?
No. Fuse block is for power in from battery (terminal 30 on relay) this was so i dont have 4 extra wires with inline fuses dangling off the battery positive terminal.

I will have one wire from the battery going to the universal fuse block (asking above what size this wire should be)

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
No. Fuse block is for power in from battery (terminal 30 on relay) this was so i dont have 4 extra wires with inline fuses dangling off the battery positive terminal.

I will have one wire from the battery going to the universal fuse block (asking above what size this wire should be)
Ahhh ok. So everything you're wanting to run into terminal 30 is going to be 12ga wire from what I would do, since it's a Fuel pump, water pump, fans. That is high load stuff.

Coming off the battery to that I'd run at minimum an 8ga.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Ahhh ok. So everything you're wanting to run into terminal 30 is going to be 12ga wire from what I would do, since it's a Fuel pump, water pump, fans. That is high load stuff.

Coming off the battery to that I'd run at minimum an 8ga.
Okay. Yes terminal 30 is all 12 gauge.

From battery to block i was thinking 6 or 8 so i’m glad you said 8. Napa didnt have any 6 so 8 it is.

I was going to use an add-a-fuse off the under dash panel to splice my 4 trigger wires into, but the add-a-fuses all have like a 14 gauge wire coming off them….
So i am now thinking i will one of the accessory spades (hopefully it is switched) and go non fused per above conversation. So i will tie my 4 - 14 gauge trigger wires to 1 - 12 gauge wire which will go to a switched accessory spade on the factory fuse panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor