134 conversion refrigerant amount

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
As far as I have read my 86' Regal with a 307 requires 52 oz of R12 and when converting to 134 only needs 80-85% of that which comes to a range from 41.60 oz to 44 20 oz
I was going to start with 80% and see how that works and go from there but I am curious what amount has worked for ones that have done this conversion.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Everything's been flushed and new accumulator, right? Need to make sure you don't have any mineral oil in there.

Using Ester or PAG oil...

Consider the newer barrier hoses and barrier o-rings, although you could just keep recharging.

Just things to consider when swapping over from R12. Unless all this has already been done, then never mind.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Everything's been flushed and new accumulator, right? Need to make sure you don't have any mineral oil in there.

Using Ester or PAG oil...

Consider the newer barrier hoses and barrier o-rings, although you could just keep recharging.

Just things to consider when swapping over from R12. Unless all this has already been done, then never mind.
Everything in the system is new, using PAG 150 the compressor came with 3 oz of it installed if the oil amount is the same as R12 it calls for 8 oz total.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I want to say I was closer to 70-75% but can't remember for sure. It's been 4 or 5 years now. I wrote it on my AC box but I'm not home right now to check for you. I'd probably start low and sneak up on it slowly. Watch the gauges and monitor vent temp.
When I replaced/converted mine I put some foam between my condensor and radiator at the ends. It seems to help, especially if you don't have an electric fan.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I've usually started at 80%, not over 85%...assuming OE capacity components (GM compressor, direct replacement condensor)

Recently did an aftermarket system on an A body Buick, the system manufacturer just wanted us to charge by hi/lo pressures.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I recall specifically in a conversion chart I saw online from an A/C shop that 3.2 lbs of R12 would equate to 2.63 lbs of 134A in a conversion (about 82%). That's what I went by with the 84 H/O's conversion (but since switched back to R12). It worked well, but at idle it wasn't as cold. I'm thinking some of the design of the R12 system wasn't ideal with 134A which hindered efficiency at low rpm, but it worked well anything off idle. I've read it over about 100 times at various places that 80-85% worked. Obviously, you can start with 70 or 75 and work up to where you're good on the gages and air blows icy.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor