14x6 Buick Rallye Wheel differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Does anyone know what the differences are between the Buick rallye wheel, depending on the year range of manufacture?

Apparently 1978-1987 was part# 25504291, and there should be no question of fit on a G-Body.

But what about earlier wheels? 1971-1972 was part# 1236969, 1973-1977 was another part#, but I wouldn't see why these wouldn't be earlier versions of the same wheel, just revised/new part#'s along the way.

Any confirmation on this is greatly appreciated.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
One of the thing to look out for for most pre '75 (should be the year all GM cars had front discs standard) is that earlier wheels could be for either front drums or front discs. Other things that would be considered is design change/update, being chrome or painted.

Reactions: 1 users

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
One of the thing to look out for for most pre '75 (should be the year all GM cars had front discs standard) is that earlier wheels could be for either front drums or front discs. Other things that would be considered is design change/update, being chrome or painted.

Right. That's the obvious guesstimate. It's safe to say 1971+ SHOULD fit disc or drum brakes. But before that? And on top of that, would the backspacing/dish be different between the various part #s and year ranges? The 15x7 wheels varied greatly. Visually all the 14x6 rallyes I've seen looked the same, but?

Not sure the chrome vs painted had different casting numbers. Part # should be different, but who knows about that either? I'm only aware of 1973+ being available painted, not chrome, but again could be mistaken.

I have chrome rallyes that were on a Nova of some sort before I got them, and found the other day that they are the 1978-1988 version by the casting code. Some have gotten crusty, and I'm trying to locate decent original ones.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I'm going to say 4" BS on the older wheels, and 3.75 on newer...

Sounds like that would certainly be possible.

Aftermarket reproduction wheels are out there, but they only really work if your car is garage kept and never driven in wet weather. And even then, they'll get little green pits/corrosion nibs from condensation. $250/wheel for that? No.

Reactions: 1 user

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
There is a difference from regular 15 inch rallye to GSX 15 inch Buick rallye too. Something about setting a quarter one the first lip of the outside of the wheel that's the correct wheel for a 70-73 GSX or it might be 70 only can t remember

Reactions: 1 user

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
There is a difference from regular 15 inch rallye to GSX 15 inch Buick rallye too. Something about setting a quarter one the first lip of the outside of the wheel that's the correct wheel for a 70-73 GSX or it might be 70 only can t remember

Yes, I believe that pertains to the 1970 GS and GSX, the original Buick vs aftermarket reproduction wheels. I recall a photograph in an older issue of "Hemmings Muscle Machines" with the quarter sitting on the lip.

The reproduction is more generic I would assume so it can be used on a wider range of cars.

mcdriver

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2015
oklahoma city
which wheels might these be i know its not a GREAT pic ill upload another if need be
a great gbody man can tell from this view tho

Attachments

• IMG_4415.jpg
    IMG_4415.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 148

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
which wheels might these be i know its not a GREAT pic ill upload another if need be
a great gbody man can tell from this view tho
Chevy wheel they put on G-bodys to S10s

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor