15 year search, finally over. The wheels of my dreams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
I've been looking for a set of these wheels for longer than I've had this car. Vintage Western Cyclone II's. Found them at Pate Swap Meet at TMS last month, got 'em for a song. $140 for the set. Found the spinners and towers on eBay for $160, center cap "SS" emblems for $20, resto and powder coat done by Lonestar Wheel Repair in Mansfield, TX for a reasonable $320 for all 4. Shod in Cooper Cobra Radial G/Ts in 235/60-15. I cannot describe how excited I am! She's got a long way to go, paint and interior has been mostly untouched since I bought it, but I'm one step closer to where I want it to be!

Attachments

• 20220608_170242.jpg
    20220608_170242.jpg
    811.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Winner
Reactions: 20 users

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: that's great. That was a long search. have fun.
IBBY

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I've been looking for a set of these wheels for longer than I've had this car. Vintage Western Cyclone II's. Found them at Pate Swap Meet at TMS last month, got 'em for a song. $140 for the set. Found the spinners and towers on eBay for $160, center cap "SS" emblems for $20, resto and powder coat done by Lonestar Wheel Repair in Mansfield, TX for a reasonable $320 for all 4. Shod in Cooper Cobra Radial G/Ts in 235/60-15. I cannot describe how excited I am! She's got a long way to go, paint and interior has been mostly untouched since I bought it, but I'm one step closer to where I want it to be!
I must have missed seeing those, but then again, it took 2 days to walk thru the whole place!

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
I must have missed seeing those, but then again, it took 2 days to walk thru the whole place!
I went the Saturday of the event. They where hidden in the bottom of a mesh metal crate. It was pure luck, or divine intervention, that I found them. I was supposed to be at work, but I called in to go to the swap meet.

It was massive, indeed. We were there for almost 8 hours and only hit about 2/3rds of it. Apparently it was the largest turn-out in Pate history.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I went the Saturday of the event. They where hidden in the bottom of a mesh metal crate. It was pure luck, or divine intervention, that I found them. I was supposed to be at work, but I called in to go to the swap meet.

It was massive, indeed. We were there for almost 8 hours and only hit about 2/3rds of it. Apparently it was the largest turn-out in Pate history.
my first time there. apparently they are now expanding into the grass lot area. I know the owner of the book seller, Woody's Books. I was there the first 2 days from 8:30-5pm each day. a LOT of ground to cover. were the vendors taking off early on Saturday, the last day? I know that's what vendors normally do on the last day of a swap meet

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
That is cool. When I finally put my rally wheels on I parked the car in the drive. My son came home and I asked if if he saw the wheels and he muttered "yeah, Dad, they look awesome" Good moment

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
my first time there. apparently they are now expanding into the grass lot area. I know the owner of the book seller, Woody's Books. I was there the first 2 days from 8:30-5pm each day. a LOT of ground to cover. were the vendors taking off early on Saturday, the last day? I know that's what vendors normally do on the last day of a swap meet
We didn't make it to the grass area, my uncle was on a scooter and didn't think it would handle the off roading. We were there till about 6pm, some vendors were packing up by that time, not many though. I'm excited for the next one, they actually had a bit of G Body stuff this time around, an order of magnitude more than previous meets, which usually had next to nothing. The swap meet in Decatur tends to have a bit better G body selection, which is still abysmal at best, but I did get to see my first Aerocoupe and 2+2 in person at the Decatur meet a couple years ago.

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
I love when people find something that they've been looking for a long time lol. The small joys in life. I'm going to have to get out there and check some swap meets! In my area, so many guys want 24" Forgiatos and I just want stock Monte SS wheels with white letter tires for the lowest possible price.

Reactions: 1 user

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
I love when people find something that they've been looking for a long time lol. The small joys in life. I'm going to have to get out there and check some swap meets! In my area, so many guys want 24" Forgiatos and I just want stock Monte SS wheels with white letter tires for the lowest possible price.
The meets in the metroplex area don't favor much newer than the late 60s to early 70s until you get to modern stuff like new camaros and mustangs, but that's all from aftermarket companies showing up at big meets and shows trying to sell new stuff. It's very hard to find G Body stuff at meets at all. Fortunately there's a lot of F Body stuff that'll cross over. I found a z28 dual snorkel breather and iroc-z wheels at Decatur a few years ago I picked up for less than $200 combined. Thinking about selling the breather, since it won't fit the holley carb I'm running now, and I'm going to try and sell the wheels, since I don't need them anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor