156 mile 1983 Monte SS on BaT

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Depending what it does price-wise that's one car I might consider for myself as a driver. Bag the original rubber hoses for the rad/brakes, swap in a 5.7/4l80e I've got sitting here, and bag the originals, and a pair of TT2 and Michelins. Be up and going in short order in the equivalent of a new car.

Need to keep an eye on this one. If it costs less than a new mustang then we'll see.
It's already above the real VALUE of a mustank. :) Not sure about the price.

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
John Heinricy is watching the Auction and making Comments about the Development of the SS.

Up to $20K

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
What a waste...all those years with no fun

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Nope, not according to the comments

Reminds me of the woman that i worked with that bought a $25K Cadillac in 1988 that never drove it, because she "didn't want to put a lot of miles on it"

WTF is the point of having it?

Maybe it's just me

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Maybe they bought 2 and drove one and killed it while keeping this one preserved.
I have seen that a couple times with GN's one to beat on and one for an investment, I wish I would have had the money to just buy the one.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Some idiot paid $15,000 to MAYBE make $5000 profit in 38 years. The dumbass certainly isn’t a finance major.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Some idiot paid $15,000 to MAYBE make $5000 profit in 38 years. The dumbass certainly isn’t a finance major.
With inflation, they're losing money, actually. Again, perfect examples of why cars are like penny stocks. Every now and then you'll catch lightning in a bottle and look smart. But mostly, no.

At first blush it's idiocy. But then again, plans can change over 38 years. Perhaps he bought it originally as an "investment" or whatever. Figuring it would be like the early muscle cars. But over time, there may have been other plans on the horizon and things didn't pan out as planned. Could have wanted to will it to his grandson/daughter whatever and they're like, we don't want that old car...never know.

Happens all the time. Just think how much it would be worth if it had 156,000 miles on it? Hardly anything. So there are some pluses and minuses. One things for sure, even at $20k, you couldn't build one up that nice for that price.

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I have seen that a couple times with GN's one to beat on and one for an investment, I wish I would have had the money to just buy the one.

I was friends with a guy who sealed an under 100 mile GN into a room in his house. He was a "government contractor" and spend a lot of time out of the country in the 80's and 90's. When I met him in the late 90's and talked about my low 12 second timeslips with a nearly stock car, it had to take a ton of willpower not to take a chainsaw to the wall and bust the car out.

By the time he busted it out, 12 second cars were a dime a dozen and he missed the 12 solid years of GN's owning the dragstrip, but at least the car was worth more than he paid for it... but then so was my 100K mile, 500 drag strip pass example... and I had way more fun with mine.

Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
With inflation, they're losing money, actually. Again, perfect examples of why cars are like penny stocks. Every now and then you'll catch lightning in a bottle and look smart. But mostly, no.

At first blush it's idiocy. But then again, plans can change over 38 years. Perhaps he bought it originally as an "investment" or whatever. Figuring it would be like the early muscle cars. But over time, there may have been other plans on the horizon and things didn't pan out as planned. Could have wanted to will it to his grandson/daughter whatever and they're like, we don't want that old car...never know.

Happens all the time. Just think how much it would be worth if it had 156,000 miles on it? Hardly anything. So there are some pluses and minuses. One things for sure, even at $20k, you couldn't build one up that nice for that price
Yes he lost money. $15,000 invested correctly and constantly since '83 would be worth what now? $100,000? $250,000? more?

I'm not positive minded enough to find any pluses on his part. The buyer however, is getting a hell of a deal on a new car. Yea, Yea, Yea, I can hear it now. The hoses are dry cracked. The belts are dry cracked.....................all the stuff somebody says that actually doesn't know jack about working on a car to any serious extent. Replace the belts and hoses if they are cracked and move on.

Hell I'm thinking about buying it for my birthday present, unhooking the speedo, and putting a Caddy 500, 9", and TH400 in it and doing some doughnuts in a Walmart parking lot.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor