156 mile 1983 Monte SS on BaT

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
He Would need $40K just to keep up for inflation.

Now if he had bought a used '78 911 Turbo or 15K mile Hemi Cuda in 1983 for that $15K and parked those, instead, he'd be a lot better off.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If he'd have bought wal-mart back then and stashed that, he'd be WAY WAY better off. :)

Let's just say he spent 13K on Walmart stock vs. that chebby.

13K in the summer of 83 would buy you roughly 289 stocks @ roughly $45 per share. Even if you missed that summer's 1983 stock split, there was a 2:1 in 85, 87, 90 and 93 and finally in 99. So that's five 2:1 splits at least.

You would end up with 9,244 shares of Wally World stock. This is NOT including any dividends rolled back into the account.

Now, today at 146 and change, you'd have a paltry. $1,349,624 in your retirement account. More if you reinvested dividends.

That's just rough math, but it shows you that some investments end up worth more than others. But you can't drive a piece of paper.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
If he'd have bought wal-mart back then and stashed that, he'd be WAY WAY better off. :)

Let's just say he spent 13K on Walmart stock vs. that chebby.

13K in the summer of 83 would buy you roughly 289 stocks @ roughly $45 per share. Even if you missed that summer's 1983 stock split, there was a 2:1 in 85, 87, 90 and 93 and finally in 99. So that's five 2:1 splits at least.

You would end up with 9,244 shares of Wally World stock. This is NOT including any dividends rolled back into the account.

Now, today at 146 and change, you'd have a paltry. $1,349,624 in your retirement account. More if you reinvested dividends.

That's just rough math, but it shows you that some investments end up worth more than others. But you can't drive a piece of paper.
He didn't drive the car either.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I seriously doubt it was bought for an investment. He just wanted to preserve a piece of history. He was probably in a financial position to be about to do that and it gave him satisfaction and the enjoyment of looking at it and showing it off for interesting conversation.

Reactions: 1 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Ended at $32,000.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I don't know what he actually paid originally, but I'd say roughly 14K or so. The 32K today is likely below the price he paid for it new, adjusted for inflation. He made back about 12K in 1983 dollars.

Considering no dividends other than taking up garage space somewhere and the cost for maintaining it, it's not a bad loss. If it had normal mileage he'd have taken it in the shorts if the goal was to make $$. Once again, no matter how nice the G-body on average, they're not as enamoring to the collector crowd.

Still, it's a very nice car which I wouldn't mind having myself. They did a great job preserving it and it looks awesome. But it's not for me at 32K.

There's always an azz for every seat. Regardless of price. There's always that one guy out there...

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I don't know what he actually paid originally, but I'd say roughly 14K or so. The 32K today is likely below the price he paid for it new, adjusted for inflation. He made back about 12K in 1983 dollars.

Considering no dividends other than taking up garage space somewhere and the cost for maintaining it, it's not a bad loss. If it had normal mileage he'd have taken it in the shorts if the goal was to make $$. Once again, no matter how nice the G-body on average, they're not as enamoring to the collector crowd.

Still, it's a very nice car which I wouldn't mind having myself. They did a great job preserving it and it looks awesome. But it's not for me at 32K.

There's always an azz for every seat. Regardless of price. There's always that one guy out there...
Agreed. Once it hit 30k I ended up not going in on it. I'll probably have 'what if' thoughts soon enough. Had it come up 6 months from now I'd have probably gone "all in" but we're a few months away from such decisions.

Still, it's a nice car that's essentially brand new. Not like any of the garbage Chevy is cranking out these days would be comparable.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014

Attachments

• 55621060_Image_1.JPG
    55621060_Image_1.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 136
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor