156 mile 1983 Monte SS on BaT

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I don't know what he actually paid originally, but I'd say roughly 14K or so. The 32K today is likely below the price he paid for it new, adjusted for inflation. He made back about 12K in 1983 dollars.

Considering no dividends other than taking up garage space somewhere and the cost for maintaining it, it's not a bad loss. If it had normal mileage he'd have taken it in the shorts if the goal was to make $$. Once again, no matter how nice the G-body on average, they're not as enamoring to the collector crowd.

Still, it's a very nice car which I wouldn't mind having myself. They did a great job preserving it and it looks awesome. But it's not for me at 32K.

There's always an azz for every seat. Regardless of price. There's always that one guy out there...

Should have just invested in GameStop stonks last week... ROI would have been better - could have bought the car and had tonnes of cash left over.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
When My kid turned 16, he took his Driving test in mine. The examiner was very impressed. I'm glad that never happened to mine.
View attachment 167538
Forgot you also had a GHIG s197. I'm thinking of picking it up because... well, I've got a pair. They say threes a crowd but it isn't in one piece so... not a crowd? Even if it isn't fixed it'd be a pile of parts in the original base color for the others.

That would be my argument to the better half anyways.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Forgot you also had a GHIG s197. I'm thinking of picking it up because... well, I've got a pair. They say threes a crowd but it isn't in one piece so... not a crowd? Even if it isn't fixed it'd be a pile of parts in the original base color for the others.

That would be my argument to the better half anyways.

I bought mine because my Neon's Head gasket blew. I got too used forgetting where I parked, looking out into a huge parking lot and saying, "oh, there it is".
DSCN0765.JPG

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I bought mine because my Neon's Head gasket blew. I got too used forgetting where I parked, looking out into a huge parking lot and saying, "oh, there it is".
View attachment 167550
Absolutely a bonus.

Significant other, she has a loaner while her car is in for a free replacement hood courtesy of ford under the corrosion warranty. Every time I see her walk out of a store she looks lost not knowing what direction to turn in the sea of boring tan/grey/silver/black/white cars barely dotted by maroon and the occasional blue.

GNs ruined black cars for me... and I used to like white cars when they were the exception rather than the rule.

Eh, I'm turning into a crotchety old man. I also miss lacquer paint. Sure, it checked. But it still looked good 5-10 feet off unlike failed clearcoat. There was something to be said for pulling a 30 year old car from a field, buffing the original paint, and seeing a deep color return. Thin crappy clearcoat goes and you're in for a TON of work or money.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor