17s on a 86 cutlass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
I found these rims and tires with less than 1k miles for a decent price. But will they fit without rubbing? Here is the copied ad
American Racing Torque Thrust 2 with the black chrome finish and a 5 x 4 3/4 bolt pattern. The wheels are 17 by 8 in.

Are these to wide and will rub on the frame?

I found these rims and tires with less than 1k miles for a decent price. But will they fit without rubbing? Here is the copied ad
American Racing Torque Thrust 2 with the black chrome finish and a 5 x 4 3/4 bolt pattern. The wheels are 17 by 8 in.

Are these to wide and will rub on the frame?

Attachments

• 00R0R_b46sk8EekkD_1200x900.jpg
    00R0R_b46sk8EekkD_1200x900.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 221
The rears would probably clear fine. The problem you have is going to be the front. These wheels look like they have a pretty deep negative offset. Giving the wheel the deep dish look. I would guess 17x8 with a -15mm or more offset, maybe -20mm. My 84 regal has 16x8 GTA wheels at all 4 corners with a 0mm offset and a 225/50/16 tire. The front tires hit and rub on the upper outer edge of the wheel well housing when the suspension is compressed hard enough. The gnx had 16x8 with a -15mm offset which means they stuck out farther than my 16x8s and they had to make a special cutout fender well spacer plate to stop the rubbing when the suspension compresses through it's cycle. If the guy really wants to sell them and you are serious about buying them go test fit them.

• Agree
Reactions: UNGN and fleming442
17x8's all around 235 45 17 on all 4 not interference at all.

I do not know the BS offhand

I’m running the 17x8 Hurst Dazzlers with 245/45/17's at all four corners on the Regal in my sig. The one thing that should be noted is that my suspension & bushings are fresh (replaced within the last several years).

20140525_235718-2.jpg The stock 7 inch wheels have a 3.75 bs. A backspacing of 3.5 to 4.5 should be able to work but you should check. Most likely these AR torque thrusts are at 0 offset (4.5 bs). Crawl under your car and see whether you have an 0.75 to an inch between the widest part of the tire (not the rim) and the frame rail. My GP has 15x8 with 3.75 back spacing ( actually like 3.65 seems Centerline wheels goofed and was off on their bs meant to be 3.5). I have a tall 275x60 on a sagging rear suspension with no rub issues.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
I will measure the rims BS in the pic I posted on Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor