17x9.5 rims

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
For a 9.5" wide wheel. 5.25" backspacing works best. You WILL need to notch your frame in the rear I went to the seam and have plenty of room now, maybe a inch or so. In the front you will HAVE to run taller upper ball joints and a bump steer kit to stop them from hitting the inner fender over bumps.
Dang, I was hoping to not have to notch my frame.

Reactions: 1 user

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
Don’t know what your budget is, but I had an outfit in Michigan widen mine. 9.5 in front and 11 in rear. Total cost for the wheels and widening was cheaper than the custom wheels in same configuration. The only downside is they can only widen to the inside on aluminum wheels.
View attachment 121158
Do you remember who the company was?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I had c5 wheels on my GP for a few years, rear were 18x9.5 and they fit. Have to nail the offsets really well.

GP's have the most generous rear wheel openings so if it fits on a GP it might not fit a cutlass or monte however.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I would take all of this advice with a grain of salt. Build quality on g bodies was horrible and each car seems to have a different size wheel well...

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I run these on my personal car, with a 275 on all 4 corners. I ended up having to use a 3/4 spacer in the rear and a half-inch one in the front to get the wheels to sit exactly where I wanted them.

Did you notch your frame for these wheels? Do you have ay pictof your ride with these wheels?

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
Is putting 275/40/17 on a 9' wide wheel as bad as I have read it is?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor